They're Only Chasing Safety review by Underoath

• Released: Jun 15, 2004
Underoath: They're Only Chasing Safety

What first got me hooked on Underoath was this album, They're only chasing saftety is an amazing album. Rienventing your exit, the first UO song I ever heard just captured me right from the start, the addicting riffs, amazing vocals and screams, all backed up by aaron gillespies clean beats. This album is a big contrast from thier former albums like the death metal sound of "act of depression" and cries of the past, and it is an improvement, they went from good, to great, with this album.

Both Aaron Gillespies and Spencer Chamberlains voices, convey thier thoughtful meaningful lyrics through thier music. The bands lyrics are mostly christian with much symbolic meanins, but I feel that these lyrics are lyrics that many people can connect with and relate too.

Underoath is by far, one of my favorite, or my favorite band ever. Mainly because of This album. It is far better than thier first 3 albums, with a change for the better. And thier powerful riffs, clean rythms andtouching vocals are part of the reason Underoath is blowing other bands away. If you can't find this record in your local record store it wouldn't surprise me, they aren't widely distributed, but deffinately get online and order it, you wont be dissapointed, one of the best albums out there, props to the guys from UO for bringing this out.

xsv
    The Almost is like Underoath just without screaming or heavy guitar. I like both bands that Aaron is in. Underoath has great songs with Aaron, and they have great songs without Aaron
    xsv
    Imo, this album has a lot of great songs. Sure, its not as heavy as Define the Great line or their previous cds, but its got some talent in here and a little bit of pop/punk styling to it as heard in 'reinventing your exit'
    angels side
    Covin wrote: I enjoy Christian metal much more than I enjoy black metal, death metal, etc. There's a mature energy that Christian metal has harnessed, something beyond self-pitying anger; it gives the music a third dimension in an otherwise-redundant music. I think modernmusich8er is really just trying to start a "crusade against" music he doesn't like or care for. I once tried to get into classic rock--but I'd rather listen to someone who can scream with passion than someone who can't sing worth a flip (like 90% of classic rock bands). modern also pointed out that rock is all about sex drugs and rock'n'roll... That made me laugh. I'm sorry, but *classic* rock is all about that. Rock has since changed dramatically; whether it's for the worst or the best is open to interpretation, but the fact is that it's changed. Stryper is a classic rock band, and they've been Christians since they were before a band. They didn't talk about sex and drugs, but they had a somewhat-successful career. Christians have God-given talents just as much as people that don't live their life for God. Talents that God would like them to utilize to spread His message; if Christians weren't mean to play metal, God wouldn't have given *anyone* the ability to play it (since being a Christian is available to anyone). In fact, I'm going to take what would probably be considered an even bolder step by modern and agree a self-proclaimed atheist as above. But really, the music has nothing to do with it, it's the lyrics that would determine if the music was actually "satanic" or "christian" or neither. He couldn't have said it better.
    Good for you. I agree 100%.
    Y.RiseAgainst.Y
    i wanna see these guys scream less then id love em, cuz the last track is my fav
    Are you kidding? If anything they need to scream more, I hate fans like you saying Underoath is your favourite band when you only listen to the songs when aaron sings. Hes a good singer but screaming in the band is what makes this band so great. Maybe check a band called "The Almost" its aarons side project
    Tvskachusetts
    Modernmusich8er wrote: There is no such thing as christian metal. read the Bible and you'll figure out that rock n roll's attitude and guitar riffs are satanic, no matter how "holy" the lyrics are. I also don't think worshipping is screaming at the top of your lungs. If they want to look like good boys they can just tell the whole world that they go to church. But please, don't waste your time trying to establish a good reputation for yourself, in fact this goes for all christian "metal" bands(As I Lay Dying, Bloodline Calligraphy). In fact don't even listen to the new musicians trying to call their music metal. Listen to classic rock and join my crusade to make the classic rock sound mainstream again!~!!!!!
    You disappoint me terribly,please tell me where in the Bible it says that Rock and Roll is "Satanic".
    Serial 177
    This Album is the best!!!! there is definatly sumthing called Christian Metal God created all music, satan just perverted it..how r Christian bands supposed 2 reach out to those listenin 2 heavy metal.. underoath is making a huge difference i the music industry!! and they must never slow down!! THEY ROCK
    kfong03
    Modernmusich8er is an absolute retard for sayng all this junk here. I myself am christian and even though i think christian rock sux cuz there are hadly any good riffs/solos i still believe it's cool to have ppl using the best form of music(rock/metal) to worship God. what i think is important is that ppl are putting their efforts into it, not whether the bible allows it or not. (in fact the bible didn't say any shit about us not allowed to use rock n roll to worship God, Modernmusich8er is just a "good boy" who can't bear to hear "satanic" christian rock music cuz there's distortion in it. get a life dude, no good being a pussy