They're Only Chasing Safety review by Underoath

• Released: Jun 15, 2004
Underoath: They're Only Chasing Safety

Underoath in themselves are much different than any other screamo band that I have ever heard, and trust me, screamo is my specialty. They have a unique sounsd, especially with the dual vocals. I really like that the drummer (Aaron) sings, and the guitarists just know how to put together melodies like none other. I'm kind of disappointed in the bass work because it's really too simple, except maybe in "It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door". The whole keyboard/synth/sample thing usually doesn't really appeal to me, but I think it's really necessary for this bamd.

If you can understand what he's saying in "It's Dangerous Business..." you'll realize that his lyrics are actually way deeper and more important to the song than other bands. They not only talk about depression and the usual stuff that comes with screamo, but they also talk about helping, and learning how to fix things and overcome them. My personal favorite song is "Reinventing Your Exit", and even though the lyrics aren't as deep as other songs, they still really make you think about things. Spencer is without a doubt an amazing screamer, and Aaron has become what I think to be, the best drummer-singer of all time.

I don't know any screamo bands that have even come close to this level or matured as much as they have. My three favorite songs are "It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door", "Reinventing Your Exit", and "I'm Content With Losing". There is nothing about this album that I don't like, and I recommend it to everyone. If this album was stolen from me ten times, I would buy it again every time with a smile on my face because I was getting my CD back.

The Spoon
    This was a good CD because i was like 13 when it came out. Then Define The Great Line came out when i needed something heavier... i like im content with losing...that track is epic
    The-13roken
    Modernmusich8er wrote: There is no such thing as christian metal. read the Bible and you'll figure out that rock n roll's attitude and guitar riffs are satanic, no matter how "holy" the lyrics are. I also don't think worshipping is screaming at the top of your lungs. If they want to look like good boys they can just tell the whole world that they go to church. But please, don't waste your time trying to establish a good reputation for yourself, in fact this goes for all christian "metal" bands(As I Lay Dying, Bloodline Calligraphy). In fact don't even listen to the new musicians trying to call their music metal. Listen to classic rock and join my crusade to make the classic rock sound mainstream again!~!!!!!
    The bible say make a joyful noise unto the Lord That's all you need to know.
    xTheJoeex
    just wow. haha i love this album its amzing! and why are we arguing about rock and religion? just leave the two subjects separate.
    Moraina
    I can't stress how good it is for people like you to be on this site who can explain their opinion without bias.
    Modern... do you honestly think you continually explain yourself without bias? do you think you've even made a single post on this board that isn't smothered in jaded bias ? like seriously... give it up. great album, i love everything ive heard by UO! each album is another layer to the legend hehe
    underfan15
    Modernmusich8er wrote: Then you would realize it doesn't come out and say it but go to any religios person, hell, even your dad, the whole attitude and theme of rock n roll is far from christian. Bottom line, metal and rock n roll doesn't belong in religion. I'm not saying you're automatically athiest if you play this music, just kepp your music and religion separate(unless you're a gospel singer).
    what you have to understand is, Underoath and other bands like Demon Hunter and Norma Jean, they're aiming specifically for the people who listen to those genres. I mean, honestly, how many goths and emos etc do you think are going to listen to, say, Casting Crowns, or Steven Curtis Chapman?? i''l tell you right now...zero! Zip! none!