They're Only Chasing Safety review by Underoath

• Released: Jun 15, 2004
Underoath: They're Only Chasing Safety

This album is simply amazing. They don't just concentrate on one genre of music, they have a wide variety of genres. In fact, a lot of their songs even have more than one genre featured in them. for example, "Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape" is acoustic and easy-listening for about the first three-fourths of the song, and then they go rather emo-hardcore. This is the first album that features the lead singer Spencer Chamberlain, so he's a little shaky with the screaming, but he gets much better in the next album, "Define the Great Line", and even low screams more thsn high screams. Anyways, the vast variety of genres in this album is incredibly broad, from soft and sweet acoustic, to hardcore emo (possibly screamo).

The lyrics are brilliant, they are simply amazing. In "It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door", it's basically telling a story about a fanatical Christian who drives his car into a tree with the woman he loves in it, so she can be with Jesus and out of this sin-stained world. In "Some Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape", the message is so strong, I was near tears, and it actually takes a lot to do that. Of course, Spencer was new, so he didn't really know what to write about, so he basically just pulled stuff out of his head (I guess we all know how he thinks now).

This album is overall just incredible. It's nothing like I've ever heard before. I really can't compare it to other artists ot albums, because of not only the incredibility, but the vast variety of the genres. the most impressive song in the album, music wise, would have to be "Down, Set, Go". I can't really explain it, but that song really stands out for me. Lyric-wise, I'd have to say "Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape". That song is simply amazing, incredible, extraordinary, etc. when I hear it, it's as if God himself is talking to me. Need I say more?

pips
    This CD is amazing!!! there is only 1 song i dont really care for (the blue note) other than that its all way gr8!!!!!
    grungeisdead312
    *sigh* people fighting over rock music and religion makes me sad lets not forget Matthew 7:1 anyway..i really think i wasted $$ buying this cd.. As I Lay Dying owns these guys
    punkforlife93
    Modernmusich8er wrote: There is no such thing as christian metal. read the Bible and you'll figure out that rock n roll's attitude and guitar riffs are satanic, no matter how "holy" the lyrics are. I also don't think worshipping is screaming at the top of your lungs. If they want to look like good boys they can just tell the whole world that they go to church. But please, don't waste your time trying to establish a good reputation for yourself, in fact this goes for all christian "metal" bands(As I Lay Dying, Bloodline Calligraphy). In fact don't even listen to the new musicians trying to call their music metal. Listen to classic rock and join my crusade to make the classic rock sound mainstream again!~!!!!!
    Look, I'm a Christian, and I think that the only way to reach out to those who like metal and aren't Christian is to create music adapted to their genre. You just keep repeating the same thing over and over. You're a biased, opiniated, unadapting and unchanging idiot. YOU ARE DISSING THIS MUSIC FOR NO REASON AT ALL. CHRIST IS EVERYWHERE, WHY CANT HE BE IN METAL????? Basically...JUST SHUT UP ALREADY!!!!! And Underoath is awesome. As I Lay Dying is good too. Red is good. THEY'RE GOOD. PERIOD. And, "Down, Set, Go" is the best Underoath song ever made. Peace out!