Alive From The Apocalypse [DVD] review by Unearth

• Released: Mar 18, 2008
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 9
Unearth: Alive From The Apocalypse [DVD]

Being a relitively recent Unearth fan, I must say I was a bit hesitant about shelling out for this DVD. I had only really heard the stuff off of III: In The Eyes of Fire, so I wouldn't claim to be a huge fan. But when I saw this for about $20, I just had to buy it. And I'm glad I did. Not only did I become a huge fan of the band thanks to it, but the 90 minute Documentary that came with it is hilarious. Worth the $20 alone really. Anyway, the band are a powerful live force to be reckoned with. Ken and Buzz shred some of these riffs without even looking and stuff like Ken's sweeping behind the head trick is just marvellous to watch. The band work their way through a decent set-list comprised of their most mosh worthy songs from all 3 albums and one EP. Stuff like "This Glorious Nightmare" and "This Lying World" really come alive in the live setting and it's great to see the mosh pits during said songs.

Content — 10
So it's a fairly diverse lineup of tracks and all are performed brilliantly by all the band. Stuff like Zombie Autopilot is just amazing to watch, with the duel guitar solo and the harmonised riffage. The second disc is almost worth the price I paid for it alone, as it comes with a 90 minute documentary featuring interviews with(and get ready for a long list); Corey Taylor, Vinnie Paul, Daniel Weyandt, Scott Mellinger, Keith Buckley, Jordan Buckley, Andy Williams, Ryan Primack, Chris Hornbrook, Matt Devries, Aaron Gillespie, Spencer CHamberlain, Brian Fair, Lorenzo Antonucci, Ravi Bhadriaju, Bobby Stevens, Adam Dutkiewicz, Joe Stroetzel, Robby Roadsteamer, Mike Martin, Phil Labonte, Scott Vogel, Hoya Roc, Mitts, Randy Blythe, Mark Morton, Dino Cazares, Tim Lambesis, Nike Hipa, Phil Sgrosso, Mike Rudberg, Scott Lee, Terry Date, Chris Flynn, Brian Slagel, Mike Faley, Carl Severson, Paul Conroy, and Rick Barnhart. Phew. It goes through the bands history in an interesting way, giving some great stories (like how Ken fell asleep at the wheel of the tour bus one time and managed to flip the trailer behind them) and also gives a great insight into the band's inner workings. The DVD also has all 7 of their videos and 3 or 4 more live vids. It's fantastic value for money and I was very happy with shelling out the cash for it.

Production Quality — 9
The production is great. Every note rings clear, every word is heard, every drum fill is precise. It's some brilliant production and I honestly can't say I'm surprised considering it was produced by Doug Spangerberg, the same man who did Lamb of God's Killadelphia dvd.

This is Unearth's first DVD and I gotta say, they picked the perfect time to put it out. It's in depth, it's long, it's filled with stuff and it was worth every dollar. If it was stolen or lost, I'd replace it without thinking. Coming from someone who's not even a huge fan of the band, this DVD was worth every dollar, as it shows the inner workings of a hard-working metalcore band making their way in the industry doing what they love. And f--k, they do it well.

Eternal_One
    tbarrettl wrote: Unskathed wrote: Best metalcore band around. Period. They bring class to metalcore being compared with the lesser Lamb of God and Killswitch Engage because they have riffs at least as good as Maiden.
    As good as Maiden? Dream on. Unearth is pretty good for what they do. Very good guitarists to, but they don't have riffs "as good" as Maiden. That is pure wishful thinking.
    thehumantoaster
    Unearth has to be one of the most talented bands i have ever seen.buz and ken's guitar work is ridiculously good, and they're drummer flat owns the kit.
    Aditya_ram
    is this better than Killswitch Engage's (set this) world ablaze dvd and slipknot's voliminal?