Alive From The Apocalypse [DVD] Review

artist: Unearth date: 05/23/2008 category: compact discs
Unearth: Alive From The Apocalypse [DVD]
Release Date: March 18, 2008
Between its comical stage choreography and Iron Maiden-inspired riffs featured on its new Alive From The Apocalypse DVD set, Unearth will hopefully get the attention it deserves in 2008.
 Content: 9.5
 Production Quality: 9.5
 9.1
 9.3
 8.9
Alive From The Apocalypse [DVD] Reviewed by: UG Team, on march 31, 2008

Sound: Unearth may have formed close to 10 years ago, but the Massachusetts band has somehow still maintained somewhat of a low profile in comparison to similar bands like Lamb of God. If you haven't had an opportunity to check them out, Unearth can be seen in prime form on the new live DVD Alive From The Apocalypse. The 2-disk DVD captures all that is best about Unearth -- from the over-the-top onstage antics to the amazing dual guitar work of Buz McGrath and Ken Susi. The first disk is devoted to an amazing live show that Unearth recorded in Pomona, California, back in October 2007. Unlike many other concert DVDs out on the market, Alive From The Apocalypse features a flawless mixing job. So good, in fact, it could easily pass for work recorded in an actual studio environment. McGrath and Susi's guitars are the highlight of the entire performance, and each melodic or shredding riff is heard with absolute clarity. Even frontman Trevor Phipps' delivery is consistently strong, which is impressive considering other bands' vocals can often seem pretty haggard or barely audible by the end of the show. Although you can't go wrong with most of the 11 songs performed on the 1st disk, the peak comes with Zombie Autopilot. With a hint of an Iron Maiden touch in the intro and multiple dual-harmony guitar parts throughout the track, Zombie Autopilot shows the band at its musical best. If the music isn't enough to keep you entertained, you also get Ken Susi taking a quick break to do push-ups in the middle of the song. The ability to keep a sense of humor and play incredible music at the same time is one of the most refreshing aspects about Unearth, and it's apparent in every song. And if you stay tuned, you'll even see a little nose picking as well, courtesy of who else, but the crazy man Susi. Disk 2 would almost feel like a promotional commercial for the band if you didn't have so many respectable, highly-regarded musicians testifying to Unearth's talent. Members from Shadows Fall, All That Remains, and Killswitch Engage all sing the praises of Unearth, be it for the band's Romper Room-esque stage show or their dedication during their first years of performing. Appropriately enough, disk 2 also dedicates a lengthy portion to explaining what makes Susi do the oddly intriguing things that he does (that includes the nose picking). // 9

Overall Impression: It's obvious from the comments made by other bands that Unearth has left its mark upon it's peers. But you don't even need the documentary portion for Unearth's incredible stage presence and strong songwriting ability to come through in the DVD. The vocals might be a little gruff and incomprehensible for some, but the instrumentation is just as strong as Maiden and Unearth deserves to get a little more attention in their next decade together. // 9

Alive From The Apocalypse [DVD] Reviewed by: Magero, on may 23, 2008

Sound: Being a relitively recent Unearth fan, I must say I was a bit hesitant about shelling out for this DVD. I had only really heard the stuff off of III: In The Eyes of Fire, so I wouldn't claim to be a huge fan. But when I saw this for about $20, I just had to buy it. And I'm glad I did. Not only did I become a huge fan of the band thanks to it, but the 90 minute Documentary that came with it is hilarious. Worth the $20 alone really. Anyway, the band are a powerful live force to be reckoned with. Ken and Buzz shred some of these riffs without even looking and stuff like Ken's sweeping behind the head trick is just marvellous to watch. The band work their way through a decent set-list comprised of their most mosh worthy songs from all 3 albums and one EP. Stuff like "This Glorious Nightmare" and "This Lying World" really come alive in the live setting and it's great to see the mosh pits during said songs. // 9

Overall Impression: This is Unearth's first DVD and I gotta say, they picked the perfect time to put it out. It's in depth, it's long, it's filled with stuff and it was worth every dollar. If it was stolen or lost, I'd replace it without thinking. Coming from someone who's not even a huge fan of the band, this DVD was worth every dollar, as it shows the inner workings of a hard-working metalcore band making their way in the industry doing what they love. And f--k, they do it well. // 9

Comments