III: In The Eyes OF Fire review by Unearth

• Released: Aug 8, 2006
Unearth: III: In The Eyes OF Fire

The sound of this album is truly brilliant. The band have worked closely with Terry Date and have really captured their live power and intensity on record, which is a very difficult for any band to do. Let alone a band as good live as Unearth. You can really distinguish individual instruments. You can hear every part of the harmonisations and the riffs & solos (by Buz McGrath and Ken Susi) are techinical but not over-the-top or over-flashy. Although you can't here the bass (by John "Slo" Maggard) very well (you don't tend to hear it in metalcore) there are few audible moments which are very impressive. The drumming (by Mike Justian)is also extremely impressive and really sets the bar for the rest of the musicians.

As usual with Unearth (and a lot of other metalcore bands) the lyrics are about destruction of the world and society. Pretty typical of metalcore but you don't tend to buy metalcore for the lyrics initially. Trevor Phipps also has some subtle hints towards "the powers that be" at the moment and there are definitely some political messages in there. Trevor has developed his vocals talents since Oncoming Storm and sounds more unique than he did on previous albums. Less of the generic metalcore screaming and he really comes into his own on this album. the raw power of his voice live is cpatured perfectly on this album like no other album I can think of.

I Believe this is Unearth's best work to date and is superior to there previous albums. This album has really raised the bar for all other metalcore bands at the moment. Unearth stand out among the thriving metalcore scene at the moment. The highlights of the album for me are: March of The Mutes (for the layered intro reminiscent of Metallica's Orion), Unstoppable (for the clean section at 3:23) and So It Goes (for the superb harmonised intro). If someone stole this from me, I would definitely buy it again. it's well worth it and I haven't listened to any other albums since. I love the live sound of the whole album, it truly recreates Unearth's live intenstiy and power! Although it does sound similar to other metalcore bands around at the moment, I believe Unearth have just raised the barrier for the whole genre. The best metalcore album of 2006? Very possibly!

x0rsist
    These guys and All That remains are probably on par at the moment! BEST METALCORE BANDS EVER. And shows metalcore isnt an emo FAD. Like alot of our friendly elitists are claiming in the forums! GO UNEARTH!
    Vertigo-fly
    Build An Army wrote: Awesome album, and i agree, who cares what you call it, its shit hot music and isnt that all that matters! I love being able to play along to this sort of music, while everyone else i know is playing along to shitty emo stuff which does not take skill
    I totally agree, it annoys me when a guitarist says they are ace and play something like fall out boy... i mean wat the hell is going on! Long live Unearth and others like them to bring sanitity to guitar players and giving us something awesome to play
    kurtmb
    Fucking awesome CD and band, I just can't get enough of it. This is ****ing pure metal the way it should be. This CD is pretty much flawless, they worked their asses off and it shows. Best CD of '06 along with Lamb of God's Sacrament. Fuck yeah!!! \m/
    kurtmb
    Build An Army
    TOB00
    this album was pretty sweet. I listen to it all the time. but seriously, i honestly wonder, if unearth did a song with like jimmy page or eric clapton, woul unearth slow down or would they speed up. (it would probably never happen but just wondering)
    kydkc2001
    This cd is one of the best this summer and the band itslef are inovating a style all their own almost like post-metalcore of something.
    spencer Cr
    ok screw the difference between metalcore and metal to me they sound the same i get confused between them all the time so whoever came up with the genre metal core **** you b/c your cusing so many arguments between metalhead and peole that love almost every type of music (myself included). so **** the different sub-genres trivium, killswitch, i killed the prom queen, unearth, etc they sound so much like metal why can't they just be metal.
    Unskathed
    "darkest hour, bleeding through, maybe as i lay dying, the human abstract, on broken wings, and thats about it. " So basically only mallcore is gonna make it.
    SlinkyswaN
    MachineHeart wrote: **** metalcore man, its dying. the only bands that are gonna make it out alive are darkest hour, bleeding through, maybe as i lay dying, the human abstract, on broken wings, and thats about it.
    and every single band that is quitting metalcore (ie. Trivium, Avenged SEvenfold, etc.) and long live LAMB of "FUCKING" God coz they kick so much as
    ~Rock~Guitarist
    ^the human abstract kicks ass!! but... i dont think metalcore is dying. maybe in your city, but here in san diego i see metalcore type bands play packed show after packed show here. i would be interested to hear what evidence you guys have that metalcore is dying.
    a7xfretshredder
    YYZ
    I don't think it's as good as The Oncoming Storm but it's still a kickass CD.
    ready4thebreak
    Nor'Easterbass
    i agree with ready4thebreak, unearth are metal, not metalcore. metalcore is killswitch, atreyu, and it dies today, not Unearth. sry.
    LakeboDom
    ready4thebreak wrote: unearth aren't really metalcore or "post-hardcore"(whatever the hell that means). Metalcore tends to be more like atreyu and it dies today(both decent) with that whole breakdown and in every song but still have pretty quick riffs and a little shreding. Unearth have to be one of the few sickest bands with seven-strings. If you ask me i think their very original in their overall sound now more than ever. Terry date definately helped the guitars and drummer especially fix and tighten up their sound. They seem like a more european band in terms of those sick diminished runs they do after riffs. I especially like how they can show people that their kick-ass guitar players without having to do these 10-minute solos(but they do throw one or two in there). But they show progress every album just like lamb of god and children of bodom and shadows fall. I think their just overlooked. Hopefully it wont go much longer. it cracks me up how ass-backwards the media is. Pop music keeps getting worse and metal and the underground music keep getting better. Of course the good music stays underground.
    exactly man not sure about lamb of god but w/e
    bobdaho
    i agree.
    MachineHeart
    AngryGuitarist
    cwill05
    Definatly metal, all the way! The new cd kicks ass!! I love the killer breakdowns, riffs and drum lines. My favorite cd is the oncoming storm, but this one is growning on me! Get this cd!!!!!
    mh250nt
    Who gives a sh** what is "metal" and whats "metalcore" just listen to what you like. And to say Unearth doesn't have breakdowns is pretty stupid. One of the reasons I don't care for this cd is because of unearth's pattented breakdown which is in almost every song they every made which gets very boring.
    xion665
    AngryGuitarist wrote: a7xfretshredder wrote: Wouldn`t that be a killer show?!?! Unearth and All That Remains?? Man that would be killer. The new Unearth cd rules. So It goes is definitely my favorite track so far... yea dude that would be sick! .... . but..i think genres are lame, just call these guys metal to save your damn breath
    Thank you for that last statement. The first review of the album was a good one...but i got tired of hearing the word metalcore every three seconds. Its all just music to me.
    roboticrick
    i bought this cd a long time ago and i must say, it has been a long time since i've purchased a cd that i can listen to all the way through (on repeat) and not get bored with it at all...