The March review by Unearth

• Released: Oct 14, 2008
Unearth: The March

Unearth have been a rising force in the American metal scene with their fast heavy riffs, dualing guitar harmonies, and brutal break down. The earlier albums helped launch the band to greater heights but their newest release entitled The March, is definately the bands most serious effort to date. The album still retains the original sound the band established with it's intricate melodies, precise guitar riffs, and of course the breakdowns, but this time around there is a more developed sound making The March, an album that seriously puts Unearth on top of the Metal scene.

The lyrics are of course similar to the previous Unearth albums but are more thougth out and well structured. They do comply quite well with the album and it's musical tone as they include referrences to government, religion and the on going struggles of we face in today's time. The album is actually a concept album based upon the evil and hopeful sides of humanity and The March is like the battle for which side will ultimately win. Trevor's singing is has definately progessed but isn't much different from the previous albums and in my own opinion, he is a great Metal vocalist but certainly nothing that is groundbreaking. As a song writer, his abilities were not at all bad before but certainly on this album is quite an improvement.

My overall impression is that The March is surely the bands greatest peice of work and has already become my favorite Unearth Album. Just from hearing the first track "My Will Be Done", I was utterly amazed at the approach they took on this album and was completely satisfied with the sound of it entirely. The guitar work from both guitarist is more greatly expressed in this album. This time around there are a lot more sweeps and definately more guitar solos which I really enjoy seeing that Buzz McGrath and Ken Susi are excellent guitarist in American Metal. The drums provided by the newest member of the band definatly fits with the style of Unearth but is a little short of the contribution from their previous drummer. The most powerful tracks of the album are the first five, afterward the album becomes somewhat weak towards the end but still keeps it's value. Overall I would say that The March by Unearth is something that most fans of the metalcore audience would certainly enjoy listening to and would agree that Unearth has truly shown that indeed is a force to be reckoned with.

sonny bb
    Skillet_Panhead
    A friend suggested this band to me so I got this album. I was definitely impressed. Definitely something to get you pumped!
    Eurasian_C
    I think it's a great album definitely. Unearth really has matured in song writing and they've really gotten tighter with breakdowns and stuff like that. Every song hits you harder live though, which I guess is natural. Something kind of makes me wish they bring back elements from either Oncoming Storm or Stings of Conscience though.
    sg4ever
    sonny bb wrote: the drums arent programmed. on the making of disc, you can clearly see him playing all the parts correctly
    Owned
    PopPunkPotHead
    I just bought this and it's nice to have good metalcore again.Its a 7 string shred/riff fest. Even though i'm not a fan of the hardcoreish vocals, Unearth ****ing owns! I've listened to it once and it is amazing.
    relicmusic1990
    My Will Be Done is the best ****ing song ever, the intro is wut got me hooked, then the chorus, holy shit this is ****ing good