The Oncoming Storm review by Unearth

• Released: Jun 29, 2004
Unearth: The Oncoming Storm

A very brutal guitar sound overall. It has a very hardcore sound to it. Alot of the music reminds me of Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying, and Soilwork. Alot of the trademark metalcore guitar work goes on. But the breakdowns and riff styles are pretty unique from the rest of the hardcore scene.

Alot of variety in lyrics. The Great Divides seems to be about politics while Failure seems to be about regret and Black Hearts Now Reign seems to be about how the world's going to hell. Trevor Phipps is a very brutal singer who goes very well with the brutal music. It would be a little better if he could sing every once and awhile but these days screaming all the time is normal.

Unearth matches up with Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, and Lamb Of God nicely. The Great Divides, This Lying World, Predetermined Sky, Endless, Lie To Purify, and Black Hearts Now Reign are the best songs on the cd. They are all very brutal and good songs with good riffs and make you want to mosh. It is a very good album that almost every metalcore fan should own. And if it were stolen or lost (if not broke) I would definetely buy it again (especially since it was only 12 bucks!)