Elva Review

Unwritten Law: Elva
Release Date: Jan 2002
Label: Interscope
Genres: Power Pop, Post-Grunge, Skatepunk, Alternative Pop/Rock
Taking a cue from fellow alternative pop bands like Everclear, Unwritten Law beefs up its production and plays with its trademark sound on Elva.
 9.9
 9.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Elva Reviewed by: Andy Ferris, on august 25, 2006

Sound: On "Elva," Unwritten Law completely change their sound, in comparison to their previous works, in which, it was very mid-'90s punk. On this album, they blend alternative, pop-punk, with traces of folk, and the occasional nu-metal. (used tastefully of course). I personally know nothing about the album, or the band, besides perhaps their names, but on this record, they could definitely write some excellent tunes. One thing I'd like to share. Definitely go out and buy this. It's money well spent. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are simple. Very pop. Good, catchy. Some with depth, some not so much, but still memorable. Many in part thanks to the contagious melodies. The singer has a very lulling but also rock and roll voice. On some of the lighter tracks, the lyrics definitely paint a picture of what the singer was feeling at that particular time. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this is the bands best album. It is their only A+ work I would have to say. On "elva," they tried something different for them and it worked. Best tracks: "Seein' Red," "Geronimo," "Rest Of My Life," "Up All Night," "Elva," "Mean Girl." I pretty much enjoy this entire CD. There really aren't any skippable tracks. All pretty excellent. I would definitely re-purchase this CD. // 10

Comments