Here's To The Mourning review by Unwritten Law

• Released: Feb 1, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Unwritten Law: Here's To The Mourning

Overall, the sound of the music quality and recording was just as good as ELVA, but the music itself has definately taken a step down. I was definately suprised that, how unwritten law has gotten so much better over the years, and to put out something like this.

Scott Russo's lyrics have done the opposite of the music. While the music has taken a step down, his voice and lyric skills have both improved greatly. This shows in the versatility of his voice, from his calm voice in "Save Me" to the grungy vocals in "I Like The Way" (and the whistling).

Overall, this album greatly upset me. For how big a step foreward ELVA was for them, this was an even bigger step backwards. There are maybe 5 songs on this album that I can truely say I enjoy. The good thing about this album though, is that it starts on a great song, "Get Up", stumbles through a few tracks, begins to save itself, with "Save Me" and "I Like The Way", stumbles again, to a mediocre track "She Says", but ends on a phenomenal track called "Walrus". What upset me was there is a hidden track after this wish just isn't good at all. It's definately dynamic in that the songs you like you love and the songs you don't like you hate.