Total Universe Man review by Valient Thorr

• Released: Jun 7, 2005
Valient Thorr: Total Universe Man

My favorite band from Venus is back with their new album, Total Universe Man. Valient Thorr is a metal/punk/gospel group with a great unique sound that is hard to come by these days. The sound is almost cheesey, but it a fun, rock all night kind of way. The vocals are a little shaky in a lot of the songs but the make up for it with everything else.

Because they are from Venus some of the lyrics don't quite relate to us here on earth. Most lyrics are fast and go along well with the rest of the album very nicley. Constant shout of "Oh God!" an "Oh Yeah!" make these great for drunken sing-a-long fests.

With so much blandness in todays music Valient Thorr Passes most other bands with flying colors. My Favorite song on the album is "Tough Customer" wich has a quit intro then shifts into a whirling mass of chanting "Tough! Tough! Tough!" Along to a three-chord power riff. I love the intensity and power, but the vocals need a little shaping to be perfect.

_RATM_
    these guys are prety awesome...i kinda like the raspy vocals as well...
    FearxIsxFatal
    ditto on what RATM said, i like them. they've got their own sound for sure and look like one of the best bands to see live ever cuz of how much energy they put in their performance music videos, nvm their shows. good band among a stale rock (not counting metal or other subgenres) scene.
    Vegiman
    I saw these guys live a while ago with Gogol Bordello, they put on a hell of a show, most energetic band I've ever seen. I don't mind the way the guy sings at all, I just think some of the lyrics they write are ridiculous, and that's mostly when they try to be political. Aside from that, they make great music, this album and Legend Of The World have been in heavy rotation in my CD player lately. Good stuff!