The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other review by Van der Graaf Generator

Van der Graaf Generator: The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other

This is Van der Graaf Generator second album originally released in February 1970. The band estabilished their style and it sounds more impressive than the first recording, probably caused by saxophonist David Jackson, who joined in 1969. The songs have more progressive/gothic influence and the overall sound is excellent. Drum section is very good and Hugh Banton organ is also awesome. Guitar parts are almost simple but this doesn't matter because piano, organ and sax replace it. Very strange and fantastic are sax parts. The way Jackson plays the instrument is innovetive and I think it is still so.

Like all other V.D.G.G. albums the lyrics are wonderful. As a lyric writer is Peter Hammill the ever. Although he doesn't have a very particular voice, he can use it awesome. The changes of tone from loud to silent, from high to low makes his vocals intensive.

"The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other" is very particular and many people don't appreciate it because of that. If anybody likes music and like to hear every genre or style I'm sure he would love it. In my opinion the best songs are "Refugees" and "After The Flood" but the other are quite good. It's already 34 years old but it is still "new" and you are never bored with it. Magic.