Epic Symphony In A Flat Minor review by Van Friscia

• Released: Jun 14, 2011
Van Friscia: Epic Symphony In A Flat Minor

This is the first release by Progressive Rock/Classical guitarist Van Friscia. It is a single, twenty minutes of music separated into three parts, or as the artist calls them "acts." The basic sound of the entire thing is a modernized attempt at creating a classical symphony, with a bit of a heavier feel to it. I may be the only one who thinks this, but "Epic Symphony In A Minor" reminds me quite strongly of Coheed And Cambria, if there were no lyrics. Overall, Friscia succeeds in his genre-colliding experiment and the result is one really enjoyable piece of music.

There are no lyrics, the entire twenty minutes of "Epic Symphony In A Minor" is instrumental. Seriously Ultimate Guitar, what if I was trying to review actual two hundred-year-old classical music? This spot shouldn't even need to be here, there's enough music without lyrics/singing in the history of the world. Well, if you want to know how the instrumental music makes me feel, then okay, here goes: It makes me happy. The reason it makes me happy is that in the twenty minutes of this awesome song, there exists more talent, more innovation than in most of the newest bands on the radio.

This is very surely not something for everybody who listens to music nowadays, but it is worth a listen for the music lover who is willing to explore outside the boundaries of the mainstream radio stations and the big billionaire Rock artists. It's a must hear for anybody who likes classical music and is feeling sad that they don't really make new music in that style. It's not the greatest thing that exists, but in the simplest way I can put it: "Epic Symphony In A Minor" is a breath of fresh air in the modern musical world.