1984 review by Van Halen

• Released: Jan 9, 1984
Van Halen: 1984

Definately an 80's rock sound. A first for Van Halen, synthesizer/keyboard on various tracks including hits "Jump" and "I'll Wait". Rock shuffle on "Hot for Teacher'. The sound is real clear.

Clearly a Diamond Dave inspired album. Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth really came together on this album to create some immaculate material. The lyrics really flow with the type of sound they went for on each track. Dave Roth really puts up a great effort on his last album with Van Halen.

Just like the Van Halen "brown sound", this whole album has its own distinct tone which set it apart from other hard rock bands of the 1980's. The album sets off a handful of memorable songs. Three of those being "Jump"- a 'jump' into the new tastes in the 80's music scene (anthmeic) "Panama"- an AC/DC inspired song that really rocks out. "Hot For Teacher"- Immediate hit with one of the bands most recognizable riffs. I really enjoyed this album out of all of the pre-Van Hagar albums for its diverse creativity. However, I hate the fact that this was the bands last album with David Lee Roth as the lead singer. I have bought this album a few times. Lost it on casseste and then I bought it in its remastered entirety on compact disc. Yes, I would buy it again.