1984 review by Van Halen

• Released: Jan 9, 1984
Van Halen: 1984

This is, in my opinion, the best Van Halen album. It is a great rock album that shows Eddie's talent, on guitar and keyboard. Alex Van Halen also gets his chance to show off his drum skills. It contains about 3 or 4 classic hits that every rock fan should know. The quality of the recording sounds like it was made this year. This is a great rock album that was very innovative during its time. It's also the last Van Halen album Roth did before leaving Van Halen for a solo career. If you are looking to become a Van Halen fan, start here.

Diamond Dave does it again. The vocals are great. Every time he does his little high pitched screams, you've got to smile. The lyrics are not just focused in one area and range greatly. He'll go from singing about jumping to singing about hot teachers. This album reminds you why Dave was, and still is, the best voice for Van Halen. Very good.

I think that this album is tied for best Van Halen album, along with the first one. The best songs are Jump, which everyone knows, Panama, my personal favorite on the album, Hot for Teacher, which displays the Van Halen brothers talents, and I'll Wait, a nicer song with a great Michael Anthony bass line. The album only has one or two songs that I don't care for, but otherwise it's great. If it were stolen, I would buy another copy, and then burn a copy of the other copy. Just incase.

Big Tommy P
    The lyrics aren't that good. David Lee Roth is no Pete Townshend or Roger Waters or Bob Dylan. But SGMAN911 was right when he said that they fitted with the music. The lyrics are just plain, generic rock lyrics.