5150 review by Van Halen

• Released: Mar 26, 1986
Van Halen: 5150

Van Halen's first album after the "Diamond-Dave" era was very surprising I thought. I could never have imagined Van Halen without DLR on vocals. It just seemed wrong. I was greatly shocked. Sammy Hagar fit in great with EVH and the gang. He could sing just as well as DLR on the 5150 album, a great differance from late DLR-era albums such as "Diver Down" and "1984" (1984 is a great album, just shocked many a few Van Halen fans with the keyboard and synths).

The lyrics on this album are great, and many people seem to quote them. The song "Dreams" is a great song with even better lyrics. "Baby just spread your wings We'll get higher and higher straight up we'll climb We'll get higher and higher leave it all behind." I think that is a very greatly written song, along with the rest on this album.

I think that "5150" compares or even beats some DLR-era Van Halen albums. David Lee Roth is of course one of the most creative singers of the '80s, but Sammy Hagar defidently proved a point on this album. I say it is in the top 5 albums of the Mid-Late 80's of any band. I think the three best songs on this album are "Why Can't this Be Love?", "Summer Nights", and "Dreams". They are all very well written songs. If I ever lost my 5150 vinal, I would go to every record store to find a new one. I listen to it mostly every day.