Diver Down review by Van Halen

• Released: Apr 14, 1982
Van Halen: Diver Down

Van Halen sounds great, like they always do. But that depends on if you like David Lee Roth. Some of the songs are expected of Van Halen, like "Where Have All The Good Times Gone!". But two slightly odd ones would be "Big Bad Bill (Is Sweet William Now" has EVH's and AVH's father Jan Van Halen, playing the clarinet, and there's even a solo. The other one would be "Happy Trails", which shows every member's ability to sing. Eddie's little solo-peice for this album is Cathedral, which is a great display of using delay, and the intro to Little Guitars is a great acoustic solo.

The lyrics are great. It's David Lee Roth singing. The lyrics go along with the songs, and are usually relevant. I like the song "Happy Trails" because it's only vocals. Dave sings lead, and everybody else is in the background. EVH, AVH an Mike aren't the greatest singers, but it's still a nice little song. Dave is a good singer, though I do prefer Sammy Hagar.

It is much better than other albums I have. I own 7 Van Halen albums, two of them being 2-disc sets. It features some of my favorites, like a cover of Roy Orbison's "(Oh) Pretty Woman", Little Guitars, and Cathedral. Those songs were the reason I bought it, besides having money and the fact it was VH. I like everything about this album. I can't think of anything wrong with any of the tracks on thgis album, except the intro to Pretty Woman. If it were lost or stolen, I wouldn't buy it again, unless somebody stole the case. It's not the original CD or Case, it being a Remastered. I have it stored on my computer, which would explain almost 30 hours of music, 9 of them being Van Halen.

Lin
    I'm of the opinion that only the greatest bands have more than 2 9 or 10 rated albums between them. This is a good album but it's no VH1 or 1984, hence the 7.