Live: Right Here, Right Now [DVD] review by Van Halen

• Content: 5
  • Production Quality: 6
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Van Halen: Live: Right Here, Right Now [DVD]

This is the follow up DVD for the tour (called "Right Here, Right Now) for Van Halen's 1991 album "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge". It has Sammy Hagar on vocals, so old-school Van Halen fans probably shouldn't go for this one. However, the sound is very good in terms of Van Halen. They cover a lot of ground on it from songs on their latest album (at the time) all the way back to their first album with Diamond Dave and Sammy delivers a fairly decent vocal performance as well. And of course, EVH's guitar playing is what you can expect, fast, flashy and very clean this time around!

Content — 5
This live concert was filmed over 2 nights and mixes the footage of the 2 performances throughout the DVD (which is very noticeable due to the fact that EVH's guitar seems to change colours in the middle of songs). The set list is very good but the highlight (especially for guitar players out there) is obviously "316" which is Eddie Van Halen's unaccompanied guitar solo which incorporates earlier instrumental works such as "Cathedral", the intro to "Mean Streets" and of course, the ever-famous "Eruption". It was almost as if this DVD was made solely for that one performance and makes the rest of it seem almost worthless. Unfortunately, there are no bonus features on this disc, so if your thinking of getting it, the music must be your only reason.

Production Quality — 6
The production was very well planned but didn't seem to turn out very well to my belief. Some of the footage looks fuzzy (on purpose) but gives you a very good idea of what the shows were like. However, the filming on EVH's performance of "316" incorporates a lot of visual effects and has a lot of great angles (which makes you think that that solo was the whole purpose of the DVD in the first place). So guitar fans might enjoy the footage after all.

This is the only Van Halen DVD that I've ever seen so I wouldn't know if it's comparable to the other ones they've released. One thing I noticed about this DVD was that I was impressed the first time I watched it, but every other time seemed less and less entertaining. On a lighter note, the show-stopper of this DVD is inarguably "316" and is the only performance on this DVD that I feel comfortable watching over & over again. As I mentioned earlier, it's almost as if you'd be paying for this DVD simply for that one song. But if Eddie's your favourite guitar player, than it's almost worth your money! The tunes on this DVD include some Van Halen classics such as "Jump", "Right Now" (and most of the tunes on "Unlawful Carnal Knowledge") and even "You Really Got Me". As well as each member doing an unaccompanied solo of some kind. It's mildly enjoyable to me now, but for a general classic rock or Van Halen fan (both of which I am no longer), it's well worth your time, other than that just leave it on the shelf.