Live: Right Here, Right Now [DVD] review by Van Halen

• Released: Jun 8, 1999
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 10
Van Halen: Live: Right Here, Right Now [DVD]

The sound of the band was crystal clear, error free, music. This footage of a concert in Boston, MA, was shot in 1993, for one of Van Halen's new albums, at the time. The filming footage takes place over a time period of the two nights Van Halen played there. Eddie shows off many of his guitar skills, and adding some new parts in all the songs on this DVD. Though the CD version of this concert has about 30 songs, this DVD only has about half of them. The Director of this DVD seemed to have cut out most of the best songs too.

Content — 10
This DVD is a live concert that is filmed in Boston, over a time period of two days. Some of the live footage of songs are (not in order): Poundcake, Judgement Day, Man on a Mission, Cabo Wabo, 316, In N' Out, Jump, You Really Got Me, Right Now, Eagles Fly, Spanked, Pleasure Dome, Ultra Bass, Drum Solo, Finish What Ya' Started, When It's Love. I was satisfied with the list of songs they had to offer, except they had edit much more songs out of the DVD, than there was on the CD version. I haven't found any "Easter Eggs" on this DVD, and I don't believe there is any at all. There's no special features, other than a "skip to a song" menu. There are short interviews with each of the band members throughout the DVD. For example: There's an interview with Michael Anthony, before his bass solo; interview with Alex, before his drum solo; and an interview with Sammy Hagar, after "Finish What Ya' Started." The DVD runs at an approximate time of two hours, and is well worth the money. I highly recommend this DVD to any Van Halen fans.

Production Quality — 10
The production quality on this DVD is great. You can get a good view on all the members, including Eddies amazing guitar work. The only catch is, that you can easily tell when the song has footage from both the nights that song was performed. For instance, in most of the songs, Sammy's wardrobe keeps changing whenever the cameras change. The camera's do have some effects, such as fading, zooming in and out, layers, pans across the stage, and up close with the members.

This is the best DVD of Van Halen, better than the one with David Lee Roth. This DVD has a lot of great footage of the band performing, and pays more attention to the band than to the audience, which is good. I love this DVD because of Eddie's crazy 20 minute guitar solos compilation, "316." I highly reccommend this DVD to any Van Halen fan, or to anyone who wants to learn guitar.