Live: Right Here, Right Now [DVD] Review

artist: Van Halen date: 11/07/2007 category: compact discs
Van Halen: Live: Right Here, Right Now [DVD]
Release Date: June 8, 1999
This is an outstanding DVD of Van Halen's For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge tour, from beginning to end this DVD displays what an outstanding rock group they were with Sammy Hagar in the lead vocal position.
 Content: 7.5
 Production Quality: 8
 8.6
 8.2
 8.9
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
Live: Right Here, Right Now [DVD] Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on july 10, 2006

Sound: This is the follow up DVD for the tour (called "Right Here, Right Now) for Van Halen's 1991 album "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge". It has Sammy Hagar on vocals, so old-school Van Halen fans probably shouldn't go for this one. However, the sound is very good in terms of Van Halen. They cover a lot of ground on it from songs on their latest album (at the time) all the way back to their first album with Diamond Dave and Sammy delivers a fairly decent vocal performance as well. And of course, EVH's guitar playing is what you can expect, fast, flashy and very clean this time around! // 7

Overall Impression: This is the only Van Halen DVD that I've ever seen so I wouldn't know if it's comparable to the other ones they've released. One thing I noticed about this DVD was that I was impressed the first time I watched it, but every other time seemed less and less entertaining. On a lighter note, the show-stopper of this DVD is inarguably "316" and is the only performance on this DVD that I feel comfortable watching over & over again. As I mentioned earlier, it's almost as if you'd be paying for this DVD simply for that one song. But if Eddie's your favourite guitar player, than it's almost worth your money! The tunes on this DVD include some Van Halen classics such as "Jump", "Right Now" (and most of the tunes on "Unlawful Carnal Knowledge") and even "You Really Got Me". As well as each member doing an unaccompanied solo of some kind. It's mildly enjoyable to me now, but for a general classic rock or Van Halen fan (both of which I am no longer), it's well worth your time, other than that just leave it on the shelf. // 7

Live: Right Here, Right Now [DVD] Reviewed by: [travis], on november 07, 2007

Sound: The sound of the band was crystal clear, error free, music. This footage of a concert in Boston, MA, was shot in 1993, for one of Van Halen's new albums, at the time. The filming footage takes place over a time period of the two nights Van Halen played there. Eddie shows off many of his guitar skills, and adding some new parts in all the songs on this DVD. Though the CD version of this concert has about 30 songs, this DVD only has about half of them. The Director of this DVD seemed to have cut out most of the best songs too. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best DVD of Van Halen, better than the one with David Lee Roth. This DVD has a lot of great footage of the band performing, and pays more attention to the band than to the audience, which is good. I love this DVD because of Eddie's crazy 20 minute guitar solos compilation, "316." I highly reccommend this DVD to any Van Halen fan, or to anyone who wants to learn guitar. // 10

Comments