The Best Of Both Worlds review by Van Halen

• Released: Jul 20, 2004
Van Halen: The Best Of Both Worlds

The sound is really good, you never really get bored of hearing "Eruption," you know? EVH plays guitar very well of course, with spontaneous solos such as the one on "You Really Got Me" and "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love." I like how they added some of their new or unreleased stuff on, such as "It's About Time, " because it brings a newer side that, at least, I have never heard before and I like, more grungier, if you get my meaning. And I like how EVH plays keyboards too, on "Jump" and "Dreams," I guess that is why I respect him so much is that he has a background. Al's sa very skilled drummer, see "Hot For Teacher" for details (sorry those are overdubs.) Michael Anthony is a very good bass player can't really say any songs, sorry Mike. Good sound.

David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar are both very good singers and very good songwriters. Dave has a different sound that I can't really put my finger on, it is very original. Sammy Hagar is a good singer but, again, he has an individual sound that is impossible to compare. Lyrics always comply very well with the song. Also the backing vocals from EVH and Mike are very interesting and I like that quite a bit.

If this was released in 1977, it would be incomparable, and you know what? It still is! Anyways the more impressive songs are the live songs, "Eruption" of course, "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love," "Running With The Devil," "Jump" (if you are listening for guitar, don't listen to it,) and "Dreams." The only thing I don't like about this CD is that it is 2 discs, and what they should've done is put all of Dave's stuff on one disc and put all of Sammy Hagar's stuff on the other. Nothing else, buy it!