The Best Of Both Worlds review by Van Halen

• Released: Jul 20, 2004
Van Halen: The Best Of Both Worlds

They sound great. What with the combination of the instruments, and Eddie Van Halen's guitar talent. I'm impartial on the issue, but, Eddie Van Halen is one of the best shredders out there. Music innovations? Hah! Van Halen brought a new brand of metal to the scene when they arrived. Plus, Eddie created 2-handed tapping. I think the music is mostly a bit harsh, but, if you're in the mood for a good party song, this album has plenty of them.

The lyrics are a little edgy, especially for the time that they were written. However, each song has a story, and those stories would all be pretty interesting. I must admit that much. The lyrics are good. There are also great instrumental masterpieces. David Lee Roth was good. Very good, in fact. Now, a new brand of vocals. You'd think the change might be a killer, but, it's actually a good change of perspective. Still, David Lee Roth was the completing factor.

It is comparable to other shredders like Malmsteen, Slash, Steve Vai, and Satriani. I must admit though, I am impressed. My favorites from the album are "Eruption", which is a veritable instrumental masterpiece, "Aint' Talkin' 'Bout Love", which showcases quite a guitar solo, "Panama", which, I believe, is a melodic beauty, and "The Best Of Both Worlds", which is wonderful. Good guitar, good vocals, nice drums, great bass. "You Really Got Me" has an excellent bassline. My favorite overall song for guitar and drums has got to be "Hot For Teacher". The lyrics are quite edgy, however, the super fast drum intro, and the intro solo featuring almost non-stop tapping won me over instantly. Wonderful album, great band. Check 'em out!

hippieking24
    sammy hagar is nothing compared to david lee roth. i conastantly find myself skipping past the sammy hagar tracks because sammy is fat
    JadeFalcon5
    david lee roth was born in bloomington indiana i live close to there HIGH 5 HOOSIERS!