The Best Of Both Worlds review by Van Halen

• Released: Jul 20, 2004
Van Halen: The Best Of Both Worlds

I've only just started listening to Van Halen in the last couple of months. I'm a massive fan of Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Def Leppard (British metal/heavy metal). I'd heard some songs before such as Jump and Eruption, Aint Talkin Bout Love and Panama, but I had never really got into it. I started listening again and this time I grew a fondness to it. I had some spare B'day money left sop I bought this album to get a good collection of VH songs. I am a massive admirer of EVH and have been this I started playing and I've grown to respect his music a lot more now. The CD is a mix of all of VH's albums. Including the first ones such as Van Halen and Van Halen 2 to some of the later ones such as Balance and 5150 and even some new recordings. Including both David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar. It is a meal album, but it is classic metal so all the songs have a melody and it's singing not screaming. There is a lot of synth on this album. Some great soloing and both sets of vocals are really great.

I haven't paid much attention to the lyrics but listening to Jump and songs like Panama and Hots For The Teacher, you can see that the songwriting ability is massive within Van Halen. They are some humourous lyrics and some more serious ones. As I said before, the vocals are really good. Nice and clear and loud.

I can't compare it to other albums by Van Halen but if you're new to Van Halen and you want to get started on them I highly reccomend this. If you're into Iron Maiden or Def Leppard, I reccomend this. The best songs are Hots for the Teacher, Panama, Jump, Eruption, Jamie's Cryin' and Aint Talkin Bout Love. I was hopinng it would have the song Atomic Punk but it doesn't so that's a bit disappointing for me. But I guess I can just download it. If it was lost or stolen I would reccomend buying it again. I got it for a couple of quid off eBay so it was cheap and a great buy.

flyingjew34
    "Cherries on Bananas!" Only Van Halen could make a song about breakfast. Since I'm too lazy to write a review, I just give it a 10/10 here.
    NightwishAngel
    Eddie Van Halen is, IMO, the greatest guitarist of all time. I mean, no one can match the style he plays in! This is definitely one of the best "Best Of..." albums i own!
    CapnKickass
    All the old songs with David LR are really awesome, a few of the ones with sammy are ok but the new recordings are so horrible its painful to listen to, I just find sammy annoying with his stupid 'oh yeahs'and whatever going constantly between lyrics, he's a good singer David is WAY better for Van Halen's sound.
    jakethesnakeLP
    mccabe24 is wrong about "love walks in." The alien is love itself. Still, these DLR songs make you want to party and bang all night!!!!!
    git-airman
    guitfiddleRR
    git-airman : hippieking24 wrote: sammy hagar is nothing compared to david lee roth. i conastantly find myself skipping past the sammy hagar tracks because sammy is fat right so your saying panama, jump, poundcake and all the great stuff sammy also did with vh is crap? dude the guy was ****in brilliant, david leroth has to be one of the hardest people to fill in for, but they were both great!!!
    are you f**king sh*tting me? Panama? Jump? those are from 1984...in 1984...when Roth was still in the band you dumbass!!!