The Van Halen Story: The Early Years [DVD] review by Van Halen

• Released: Dec 9, 2003
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 8
Van Halen: The Van Halen Story: The Early Years [DVD]

Well Van Halen is one of the best if not the best heavy rock band of all time, I think. The drumming by Al, guitaring by Ed was just amazing. Eddie built his own guitar from scratch, this signified his passion for his own sound of rock music. Ed and Al were born in Amsterdam. Their mommy was a music teacher so tought them piano, which was cool. Later on though afew years, what was very funny is that Al was the one who recieved the guitar and Ed got the drum set. That was not their destiny. Eventually Ed picked up the guitar and just went crazy. The DVD shows the entire early life of Van Halen from when they were Mamomouth all the way to Van Halen. Van Halen would be right up there with my favourite bands.

Content — 10
This DVD is a portrait of the early lives of mostly Alex and his brother, Eddie Van Halen, and how David and Anthony (I beieve it is) all four of em met in California. Although I did not see the whole video, it so far is very interesting, it shows how Van Halen became to be at that one music gig in Vegas, I believe. Early Van Halen was all about music and girls (mostly Dave). VH was known as the party backyard band. They would play at house having high school parties. Although within a few hours of playing these big californian house attracted crowds of 1000+. When the cops came to crash the party they had no idea where the party was because cars covered 4-5 city blocks. VH attracted masses of people in high school and was only going to get bigger and better. Every member with the exception of the bassist was committed to music. So eventually VH kicked him out. Some funny parts I can remeber was when VH hired a new sercurity dude (mainly for Dave, he was a party animal) and david was like "I have two condidtions, the first, you dont have any problems with drugs" and the picture was a round table full of cocaine. "And the second you dont have a problem with under age girls, invovled. Well in afterparties" for both the sercurity dude was like no. It was pretty funny.

Production Quality — 8
I do not know when the DVD was made. The quality is pretty good, I'm guessing made some where in the '90s. It's good picture and sound quality, but nothing special.

I really love this DVd and VH. Awesome guitaring, drumming, singing. Just amazing band. Very inspirational. Although I was reading in a magazine those eddie was number 10 guitarist to retire. I'm not surprised, he hasnt made any music for 20 years. I just hope that some with the same skill will be the new Eddie.