Van Halen review by Van Halen

• Released: Feb 10, 1978
Van Halen: Van Halen

When first skipping through the tracks on this album, I was amazed at the sound quality of this album (my version was the digitally remastered copy) as it first came out in 1978 (I think ). Syles of music on this album are basically metal and hard rock. This CD has some of the most innovative guitar work I have ever heard, it was amazing hearing Eddie Van Halen for the first time. He is one of my favourite guitarists and I love his sound (hi gain) with reverba plenty. Eddie's brother Alex Van Halen is a brilliant drummer (see "Hot For Teacher" intro) though is drumming is not pronounced in this album as there is no drum solo's neither bass solos.

The lyrics are very '70s rock orientated, with many songs involivng women and having a good time. Suits the songs quite alright. David Lee Roth's voice is a clean voice with very little growl in his singing. Personally I like Sammy Hagar (replaced David Lee Roth later on) better as he has a more rock voice. I dislike some of David Lee Roth's singing in certain parts of songs though.

Overall this is my favourite CD still, even though I have had it for about 4 months thought and it is still in my CD player. The guitar work is fabulous, this album is home to the beloved 'Eruption' song which is amazing pumped up loud (like seeing Star Wars for the 1st time), eruption is my favourite track, but other favourites include 'Running With The Devil', 'You Really Got Me' (cover) 'Ice Cream Man' and most of the others. My least favourite is track is 'Jamies Cryin'. If lost/stolen I would buy the Van Halen album 'Best Of Both Worlds' which is like a greatest hits CD. I would buy this as I think every song from the first album is on it. If your looking for a cheap CD this is the one to buy as it only cost me $11 AUD.

kshelt76
    The first review has nothing to do with Van Halen I. And calvin, all Van Halen albums from 1984 and before are great albums!
    <TYLER>
    I hope everyone knows what makes this album so great.....only one song was over dubbe which basically means its live minus the crowd....it shows that van halen could play as a true band