Van Halen review by Van Halen

• Released: Feb 10, 1978
Van Halen: Van Halen

My impression of Van Halen is that they have a great, original sound that has since been copied but never out-done. They have a distinct sound, "Diamond" Dave Lee Roths Vocals, and Eddie's Guitar, a modified Strat body with one single coil at the neck, and a Gibsn PAF humbucker slapped in at the bridge. They were first discovered by Gene Simmons in 1976, he made them a demo tape that Warner Bros. accepted and took on. I have a copy of said demo tape. It's f--king awesome, not as refined as the album, but a rough-cut diamon nevertheless. Eddie was an innovation unto himself. He popularised tapping and this album is a great example, any guitarist that can listen to Eruption without wincing isn't human.

Vocals in Van Halen are Dave Lee Roth, with the rest of the band on back-up, Edward Van Halen (guitarist) writes most of the stuff though. The are great lyrics, just listen to Ice Cream Man, pure genious. Since Edward writes most of the stuff, the music goes very well with the lyrics and vocals, and the rhythm (bass and drums courtesy of Michael Anthony and Alex Van Halen respectively) is spot on. Singer skills cannot be qestioned, Diamond Dave suits and does everything perfectly, great showman.

It doesn't really compare to anything from that time period (1978). I woud say it was a big hit at the time, as no guitar skills like this had been heard since Hendrix, so it has been hailed as the most important album for guitarists since Jimi. Other than that, it's quite unique, and amazing when you think about it. The most impressive songs, in my opinion, are Runnin' With The Devil, Eruption, Aint' Talkin' 'Bout Love, Atomic Punk, Ice Cream Man, and You Really got me (kinks cover). love this album because it's something my dad will never tell me to turn down, as it was the first record he boight, and the first record I bought. I don't hate anything about it, only the image the band carries, you mention Van Halen to anyone, and all they think of is Jump. If it were stolen, I would nuke the thiefs house, and would then buy it again.

E V H 5150
    I think Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love had some minor overdubbing, if that's what you're reffering to. But AxlRose, WTF? I have this CD. It does not have frikkin' anything to do with Sammy Hagar. Right Now is one of my favorite songs, A-Hole. Just accept the fact that Eddie Van Halen was also a talented pianist. Runnin' With the Devil isn't really that metal-like. If any Van Halen song was anything like metal, it would be on Van Halen. Best of Volume I doesn't really have the best VH songs. Where's You Really Got Me? Or Love Walks In? Next time you review a damn CD, make sure it's the right one!