Van Halen review by Van Halen

• Released: Feb 10, 1978
Van Halen: Van Halen

Unmistakable, pure, Van Halen. 11 tracks. All of which feature distinct EVH distortion. Eruption. Okay, enough of the fragment sections. This CD has 11 tracks, blah blah. Yes, it has Eruption. So what about Eruption, it's mostly just tapping. Personally, I thought Cathedral was a better solo (but that's becuase I can play it). I recieved this as a gift one year. I said I wanted some VH, and I already had the Right Here, Right Now set. I'm more of a Van Hagar fan (crucify me already), but recently, I've been listening to Van Halen. Now, as for music innovations, this entire album is one. A cover of You Really Got Me is perhaps one of the greatest songs VH has preformed. And my anthem-song, Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, is also here. Damn, I wish I could get that sound. Then again, I'm listening to it on Windows Media Player, and I adjusted the EQ based on ATBL, so it sounds much better.

I really don't like reviewing CDs because I hardly actually listen to the music. But the lyrics are all okay. You can actually understand the lyrics, so you don't have to search a damn lyrics website. Dave isn't the most singewr I've heard, but it's not fair to compare DLR to Ozzy Osbourne, Tom Petty or Steve Miller. They have different styles, and Dave, though not the best skill-wise, sings exactly how he needs to to match this style of Van Halen.

Let's be fair in the comparison. I'm not going to compare it to Bruce Springsteen, AC/DC, Tom Petty, Metallica, Steve Miller, or any of the more modern rock bands. But this is my favotite non-Best of or non-Live album, which narrows it down to this one, Diver Down and Balance (which I rented from the public library and loaded onto my computer). I forgot F.U.C.K. which is also a good album. So I'm balanced on my DLR/SH. But F.U.C.K. doesn't have that great of songs on it, and about every song on that, I have a better version of Live. Diver Down was kind of good, but doesn't match up. And Balance, oh God, no way. This is the first Van Halen, and in my opinion, the best.

justinR951
    this is van halen's best cd, then it goes fair warning, and then van halen II, then 1984
    Halenrockr
    i love van halen 1 its awsome! all 11 songs are awsome. like ain't talkin bout love,runnin with the devil, eruption, i'm the one,jamies crying,atomic punk, feel your love tonight, ica cream man, on fire, you really got me, and don't forget little dreamer.
    Lambda
    pretty much the whole deal with tapping has blossomed from this, and this is a guitar website
    British Josh
    wtf????? the first dude must have been stoned or something when he wrote this because it doesn't have anything to do with vh 1