Moondance Review

Van Morrison: Moondance
Released: Feb 28, 1970
Genre: R&B, Blue-eyed Soul, Folk Rock, Jazz, Country Rock
Label: Warner Bros.
This album is very much an acoustic folk/jazz affair.
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Moondance Reviewed by: claptonfan55, on november 06, 2009

Sound: This album is very much an acoustic folk/jazz affair, and as soon as "And It Stoned Me" starts to play, I am hooked. Moondance is an absolutely fantastic album. All the songs are catchy, and Van puts so much soul into each tune that it's infectious, and I always start singing along. It has a great, chill sound that still has great energy, as well. // 10

Lyrics: Van's lyrics are interesting and unmistakeably his. I don't think I've ever heard a straight story-telling song from him, and, to be honest, I don't mind at all. His lyrics seem often improvised, and they fit the music so well that it would be a complete travesty to change them at all. His lyrics are a huge part of the energy and soul of his songs, and are perfect for his style. Van's voice is absolutely amazing, as well. NO ONE or will ever sound like him, or come close to the passion he puts into every song on Moondance. He is one my favorite singers and I would go as far to say he is the best white soul singer EVER. // 10

Overall Impression: Friends of mine have called this album completely flawless, and I agree. Every song on this album is fantastic, though some of the highlights include "Caravan", "Crazy Love", "And It Stoned Me", "Into The Mystic" and the title track. There are very few albums that are of this extremely high quality, and if it were stolen from me by some jackass, I would immediately buy it again, put it on my mp3 player, and let Van Morrison sing my blues away. // 10

Comments