Ernie Ball Battle Of The Bands, Vol. 10 review by Various Artists

• Released: Sep 26, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Various Artists: Ernie Ball Battle Of The Bands, Vol. 10

You should be someone really good and extraordinary to become on of 14 lucky bands being picked out of 11, 500 unsigned competitors. Unfortunately it's not always like this. Not in the case with Ernie Ball Battle Of The Bands, Vol. 10. Listening to the compilation you can't stop wondering -- how bad were the other 11,486 bands that didn't make it to the CD and is the situation in music business that bad now. Unfortunately, what is supposed to sound very diverse and original sounds like filler with a few tracks at the ok level. The compilation starts promising with a few interesting songs. Sit Still by Brightwood is very melodic rock with catchy tunes, wonderful multiplied vocals and different guitar effects. It seems like a solid track at the begging, but the heavy middle part spoils the impression. As Blood Runs Black presents a heavy metalcore track In Dying Days with distorted complex guitar gammas and tempo changes. It's got two interesting breakdowns, but unpleasantly breaks as if they forgot about a proper ending. Headspin by And Then I Turned Seven is Avril Lavigne with a male voice. It's weird, but the lead singer Dane even imitates her voice. I can't stop thinking I've heard those Woa-hoa somewhere else. Karate High School plays some false piano in their Twice Upon A Time (110 Percent). Quite outstanding, but not a great idea after all. It's funny like you can tell the punk-rock band by their song title -- they are usually something about the prom queens or the virginity -- like The Sudden Lost Of Innocence The Weakend that close the CD. Being charmed by teen movies, guys borrow the ideas from them when it comes both to music and to titles. People by Natives Of The New Dawn is like a breath of fresh air in between this angry and aggressive music. It's light ska-jazz something with cry-baby guitars. As much as being fresh and outstanding, it's a weird to be found in this company.

Lyrics are as different, as the genres of the songs are. Punk rock is about love-hate relationship, metal is about being unsatisfied with life, ska, though being more about the vibes than words, still is about music in your head. Meriwether brings in some interesting poetry with their R.I.P. New Orleans and I am a robot/Won't you read the papers right before you go lyrics. The dumbiest moment of the album comes at the end of Sit Still by Brightwood with Here I am, there you are/Wish upon a falling star being repeated a number of times with a weak screamo at the background. I guess that screamo is supposed to create a crescendo moment, but it's so out of place... Vocally a lot of bands copy each other -- competing who can yell louder without any emotions and no clue what singing actually is. There is quite a good share of strong screamo (As Blood Runs Black with In Dying Days impresses you by being diverse in it). The vocalist of The Flatliners Chris Cresswell has funny mad dog vocals, barking through the song Bad News. Well, some kind of the band's seal anyway...

All of the bands have surely deserved to be on the compilation -- just to get such an impressive fanbase being unsigned means they've spent months on MySpace, adding whoever, typing endless thanx for the add! and asking everybody to vote for them at the link below. But that doesn't mean all of them are worth listening to. Even though you can't judge the band by just one song, most of the acts didn't show their good side. The compilation reminds me a lot of the Warped Tour (which has an explanation -- Ernie Ball has sponsored a stage on the Warped Tour for the past ten years). About 80% of the CD is Siamese twins bands -- really hard to differ from each other. It's not about the same genre or sounds, it's more about the same mediocre level of them.

SLD.Potato
    Hey, I know Karatee High School! I've got their CD, it's good stuff. They don't go horrendously overboard with the screaming like some bands do. They actually remind me of a screamo Relient K with a keyboarder if Relient K loved video games instead of Jesus.
    ICreamsodAI
    DownbëloW
    ICreamsodAI wrote: Damn I feel yall on this one alot of newer band are horrible I truly am sad to say this, but it seems like our youth has lost all inspiration for actual musical talent or diversity.
    amen
    x_themetalfan_x
    SLD.Potato wrote: They actually remind me of a screamo Relient K with a keyboarder if Relient K loved video games instead of Jesus.
    That made me lol, and I can't figure out why
    S-Gsus
    DukeofRckinghm : either the newer bands lack diversity or the record labels won't publish diversity
    Ha! Damn right! Both are conspiring against us!
    TehNpvz
    Ah...new bands sucking. It's the slow change within music, getting suckier, influencing the younger people, and making them think the new music is teh best starf evar. MCR, Fall Out Boy, bands like those should just GTFO. Well, you're still entitled to your opinions on music. Keep in mind that people keep on getting greedier these days. If a band gets rich, they want to copy that band so they can get rich.
    stuart18
    personally to me it does seem like music is starting to sound the same but these bands still need the support and this gives them a kickstart