Family Values Tour 2006 review by Various Artists

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Dec 26, 2006
  • Sound: 9
  • Lyrics: 9
  • Overall Impression: 8
  • Reviewer's score: 8.7 Superb
  • Users' score: 5.8 (20 votes)
Various Artists: Family Values Tour 2006
2

Sound — 9
After a 5-year hiatus, the Family Values Tour made it's long-awaited return to the concert circuit in 2006 with the creators of the tour, Korn, headlining the comeback. The accompanying live CD for the tour could have easily been just another in a long line of concert albums, but it does do a satisfying job of translating the intensity of the live show. On top of choosing a track list of entertaining cuts from the tour, it also features fantastic vocal clarity that isn't easy to get on a live CD. Even if you didn't get the opportunity to see this year's Family Values Tour, after hearing the 2006 live CD you might find yourself possibly wanting to check out the show when it hits your town next year. While other concert tours may only feature one song per band, the Family Values CD is able to fit a few songs from each of the main stage performers (Stone Sour, Dir en grey, and Flyleaf among them). This is a godsend if you only went to see the tour because of, say, Korn or Deftones in the first place and didn't necessarily want to sit through the set of one of others on the line-up. Korn is given the most time on the CD without a doubt, but the band did give birth to the tour, so I suppose they have the right to take up as much space as they'd like. Thankfully, frontman Jonathon Davis sounds better than ever, with his vocals even clearer than they were on Korn's latest DVD Live On The Other Side. There are several highlights on the record, but one stands out from the rest. Check out Shoots And Ladders/Wicked from Korn and featuring Chino Moreno from the Deftones. I can't recall if the song was done in the finale or not, but it's a high-energy track that epitomizes all that is memorable in a concert. The song starts out with Davis' trademark bagpipes and by the time it gets to the Wicked half, it quickly turns into a rapid-fire rap-metal fusion. The accompanying music is right on target, but it's the vocalists that really drive the song. Not all bands from the second stage have tracks on Family Values Tour 2006, with Bury Your Dead, Bullets and Octane, and Walls of Jericho left out of the mix. However, 10 Years has 2 solid tracks and Deadsy comes out fairly strong with Carrying Over. It would have been nice to hear at least one track from the bands that didn't make it on the record, but at the same time it does allow diehard fans of Korn to have another 5 live tracks from the band added to their CD library.

Lyrics — 9
The Family Values Tour has personified the feelings of angry youth for multiple years, and the 2006 live CD contains choice tracks to keep the tradition alive. Right Now by Korn starts the CD off with it's general pissed-off and discontented lyrical content. Davis sings, I'm feeling mean today; Not lost, not blown away; Just irritated and quite hated; Self control breaks down; Why's everything so tame? Sure, some might not call them the most unique words, but they are exactly what are needed to kick off the mood of a Family Values concert CD. A cool change comes with the Japanese band Dir en grey. The band's 2 featured tracks are both in Japanese and offer something culturally different, but the delivery still is as intense as the American bands on the bill. I was able to locate a translation of Dir en grey's Ryoujoku No Ame, and it keeps to the general discontented view heard in a lot of the CD's songs. Vocalist Kyo sings, My hope fades away from the angry tears; Even the strength to live; In a fit of passion I go crazy with grief; And so, I pray to the setting sun. In all honesty, it's just as interesting to hear the lyrics when they remain in their original Japanese language. It's all about the delivery.

Overall Impression — 8
In terms of audio quality, the vocals sound crystal clear, probably more so than if you heard them through the usual sound system in person. While the guitars and rhythm section don't ever reach the level of clarity as the vocals, at the same time they never get pushed to the very back or too muddy-sounding. While some listeners might accuse the Family Values Tour 2006 of having way too many Korn tracks on it, the band is still the main headliner. Korn did create the tour in the first place, and it's likely that the majority of Family Values attendees were interested in seeing Korn first and foremost. It's unfortunate that the Deftones couldn't have been given a bit more of the spotlight, however, because they absolutely hold their own against Korn. In the end, Korn is a pro when it comes to creating a memorable concert experience and the Family Values Tour 2006 CD is a fun way to relive it.

27 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Dr. Metal Head
    Meh, I hate most of those bands so I doubt I'd like this CD. KoRn used to be good, but we all know what happened with that.
    Tedward
    I agree with guitarist41 ^ I used to like Korn until I realized that they hired teams to write lyrics to all their songs. I like the Deftones, and Stone Sour is ok, i like slipknot better though. I cant say much for the other bands because i havent heard alot of their songs.
    juzzi_fizzle
    oh a few more things, call these artists n tell them that there genre is shit, better yet track em down find n tel it 2 there face, n c how far they stick their instruments up ur ass,.from the band i no on dis dvd should b promisin, however iv thought that bout a few things b4
    juzzi_fizzle
    new metal, old speed metal who cares, if it sounds good listen,ppl disn nu metal lyk sum1 sed where r d ppl dissin, ol rock:floyd,zepplin, sabbath.not that theres anythin wrong wit it. if it sounds good listen 2 it, don judge simply coz of d genre,u may not lyk it coz of ya upbringin 2 older music, u r accustommed 2it.BROADEN YA FUKN HORIZON.BUT d dvd sounds aight i guess. my 2 cents. wat is numetal anyways,dropped c tuning apossed 2 80's eb?wel wat bout nu death metal, drop b y don u hear ppl pic on dat Opeth, devildriver, etc, just ppl who listend 2 old death metal back i d day:b;ack sabbath.c al dese musicians hav broad horizons.n if u don lyk it,wel create ya own fukin style get signed make ya coin. than start disin u piss weak fu**ers
    royrocks26
    Yeah, Davis writes his own shit, whoever said he doesn't is terribly incorrect. You think some lil shit off the street, or even a huge producer, or writer could write daddy, or faggot? Oh, sure they could....losers. I'm so sick of this "nu-metal" garbage. Music changes over time, some may like it, some don't, who cares? Personally, I've seen Korn tonnes of times, caught the values concert, and thought it was amazing. *shrugs* Stay sic...
    swordsrkewl
    i was actually at the columbus ohio show it was simply amazing, if u look in teh Korn-Politics video theres a mudslide and that was at columbus ohio and that was fun as hell, but seriously, jsut bcuz u dont like nu-metal doesnt mean, korn is a very excellent band i got to meet them, there nice guys down to earth and Take A Look In The Mirror changed my life and made me want to play guitar and listen to metal, I do not like flyleaf howveer and that chick is like 4'11 no joke, but i thought 10 years was sweet the drumme rwas doin all sorts of tricks and stuff, adn tehn deftones came out and played their asses off, im surprised no ones mentioned them, stone sour had the best mosh i think, and i was sitting in pavillion and when korn came back i saw this HUGE mass of fans who probly came just to c korn, there a great band, i like all kidns of metal, except glam, but"nu-metal" is dead korn doesnt even have that style anymore neither do any other bands that i kno of do, but it was a great music era, you had this new rush of fans come in who could relate to this new type of metal and they started listening to the older stuff, i dont think metal would b where it is today without some of the new metal bands, and korn most deffinately writes thier own songs,and i mean every genre of msuic has thier bad music artist, but i mean nothing really has come out that signifigant in the metal world, its all this cookie monster vocals stuff and B tuned guitars and a "hardcore" type thing, emo is destroying music also, kind of a rant here, but to prove my point, that concert is sweet, tho the DVD may not b as good, i plan on picking it up it was a great concert and id like to go back and watch it again but yea, id quote so many of u ignorant ppl, but im to lazy =/
    MetalHead73
    HIM%(^ wrote: all i have to say is a few bands taken away and added could make that show alot bettter. take away all the nu-metal, add mastodon, add nevermore, put some dillenger in there and we have a show. oh yea, cant go wrong with some slayer. basically nu-metal is way past its day and should just not be around anymore, and yes korn does actually hire a lyricist because apparently there singer was to high on drugs all the time to write them himself, i read that somewhere
    Are you people FUCKING RETARDED? Jonathan Davis(singer) quit drugs, drinking, smoking, EVERYTHING cold turkey in 1999, and all that shit he wrote before then, was way too personal, violent, or crude to be written by a lyricist. There is no proof, and I know for a fact Jonathan Davis writes his own songs.
    HIM%(^
    all i have to say is a few bands taken away and added could make that show alot bettter. take away all the nu-metal, add mastodon, add nevermore, put some dillenger in there and we have a show. oh yea, cant go wrong with some slayer. basically nu-metal is way past its day and should just not be around anymore, and yes korn does actually hire a lyricist because apparently there singer was to high on drugs all the time to write them himself, i read that somewhere
    reapist16
    You guys need to listen to some REAL metal... sheesh.. Cryptopsy>all those bands put together
    MetalHead73
    Tedward wrote: I agree with guitarist41 ^ I used to like Korn until I realized that they hired teams to write lyrics to all their songs. I like the Deftones, and Stone Sour is ok, i like slipknot better though. I cant say much for the other bands because i havent heard alot of their songs.
    WTF?! Korn DOES NOT hire teams to write there ****ing lyrics, show me some proof and maybe i'll believe you.
    guitarist41
    I dont think any music genre will ever be completely dead. Nu-Metal took so much crap, I thought it was unfair. It got alot of people, like me, into real metal so it cant be that bad.
    Bobthe66666
    KoRn aren't good, are they? I'd like to see you do any better. Great CD; Flyleaf are a little odd, though.
    dandesmond
    used to love KoRn but hate their new stuff. Stone Sour and Flyleaf are the only decent bands on the list
    shiznac
    yeah, but 1. There is no such thing as Nu-Metal, it was just MTV trying to group some of the more popular hard rock groups into one genre (i.e. Limp Bizkit and Staind sound hardly anything alike).2. These bands may have broken up, or gone out of the mainstreem light, or changed genres, but the fans still like these bands
    BlindKoRnKid603
    saddam wrote: ^man, you nu-metal fans really have to grow the **** up... .
    Nu-metal...strange, i never hear anyone ever saying "You classic rock/Zeppelin fans need to stop living in the past". Nu-metal may be dead, but I don't think KoRn are nu-metal at all anymore. No one is. Not anymore.
    trouble37
    I bought the DVD from the show... i was a bit disappointed with it actually...pretty short. Not much to it.
    guitarist41
    Bobthe66666 wrote: KoRn aren't good, are they? I disagree with this. I find them to be a great band and their music to be quite enjoyable. I look forward to future releases by Korn.
    Bobthe66666
    guitarist41 wrote: Bobthe66666 wrote: I'd like to see you do any better. That's the most over-used, shittiest argument ever.
    I'd like to see you do any better.
    guitarist41
    Bobthe66666 wrote: I'd like to see you do any better.
    That's the most over-used, shittiest argument ever.
    Kopperhead91
    Dr. Metal Head wrote: Meh, I hate most of those bands so I doubt I'd like this CD. KoRn used to be good, but we all know what happened with that.
    what happened? they got even better, released a great CD, resurrected an immensely popular tour, and put on a great show despite the fact they dont have a founding memeber? yea i see what happened there.
    IlikeMetal
    This show was meh, i prefer all metal act shows, but stone sour was good. Im actually in some of this dvd cause i work security at tweeter boston. I like this years ozzfest better though cause the lawn looked like a ****in war zone from the stage with the sod fights. good times