Kerrang: Maiden Heaven review by Various Artists

• Released: Jul 16, 2008
Various Artists: Kerrang: Maiden Heaven

The sound from all bands is pretty standard nowadays, production is completely professional and it can be hard to distinguish bands. In terms of sound related to maiden, few bands manage to pull it off, nd there are many interesting interpretations of classic songs that some die hard fans will struggle to like.

Bruce's lyrics, come on, great right? Not really much to say here, Bruce's lyrics, not theirs, Most sang well, however there was a few covers were they changed a few bits, see below for review. I liked all Bruce's lyrics, especially on such songs like Hallowed Be Thy Name, Fear Of The Dark and 2 Minutes To Midnight. Classic Maiden.

01. Prowler - this is one of the better covers on the album, and is one of my favourite maiden songs all the way from 1980, they do it justice. 2. Remember Tomomorrow - sounds a lot like Metallica, its production is flawless, as you would expect, and it is an interesting take on the song, vocally, Hetfield performs very well. 03. Flash Of The Blade - one of the under rated songs from Powerslave, msucially A7X perform well, but for some reason the vocals irritate me, anyone is going to have a tough job singing one of bruces songs though. 04. 2 Minutes To Midnight - I was very surprised, I don't think much of this band, but their interpretation of this song is actually very good, I love how they changed it and made it their own, it won me over, I loved it! 05. The Trooper - I was expecting better than what they did, musically it is all very professional, but there seems to be something missing, I don't know what it is. 06. Wasted Years - didn't think the screaming suited the song, however again musically it was very good, interesting choice of song, probably not one of the better songs on the album. 07. Run To The Hills - well basically you could see this from either way, they slaughtered it, or, it is an excellent interpretation, personally I hated it, but for such a classic song to be changed so drastically, I think they are treading on very thin ice. 08. To Tame A Land - typical DT, progressive, technical, impressive and most of all, brilliant. Need I say more? 09. Caught Somewhere In Time - now, I've seen this band live and they surpised me, they were amazing, live they are somewhat heavier, there is more energy and their performance is awesome. However I didn't think the idea of them covering a Maiden song would work. I suppose they had to chose a song from Somewhere In Time, or, Seventh Son, bcos of the synth. I liked this cover. Didn't slaughter it, and also did the song justice. ALso had an "epic-feel" to it. 10. Wrathchild - right, Galows you either love or hate, I hate, but I do like the fact by todays standards they're fairly unique in their sound and style. This version would be good if it was their own, or jumping around to it live, it does grow on you, very punk, but I think I'll stick to the original, in my opinion, you have to be something special to be able to play wrathchild as well as Maiden. Di'anno's voice makes the song. 11. Fear Of The Dark - one of my favourite Maiden songs, e it is incredible, the Rock in Rio Version fully captures the intensity and spirit of the song live. One thing I love about Fightstar is charlie's voice, it is very gritty and unique. He does Bruce's job excellently, I'm glad to say I love this cover. It's got attitude, and is modern sounding, yet still has that classic feel. Loved the "crowd singing over the solo" nice. 12. Hallowed Be Thy Name - this is the song I was waiting for, Machine Head won me over with the release of the Blackening, and I couldnt wait to hear them cover one of my favourite Maiden songs. One word - epic, loved Flynns Vocals, excellent. 13. Iron Maiden - I used to like Trivium back when I was 14 and 15. You can't deny theyare great musicians. Strange as it seems, I liked this with the random scream bits in. Very tough attitude to it. Heafys voice is sounding great, little more like himself now as opposed to Hetfield. 14. Running Free - Maiden's first single, somewhat of a classic, I've never heard of this band, but first impressions were, wow, this sounds like bloody Maiden! He sounds like Paul! I thought this was probably the best cover on the album! 15. Brave New World - good to see a modern Maiden song get covered. Cool intro. Musically and vocally this band is amazing, but for a Maiden cover I would've hoped for something more, rock. Great solo at the end though lol. Good for chillout time.