Kerrang: Maiden Heaven review by Various Artists

• Released: Jul 16, 2008
Various Artists: Kerrang: Maiden Heaven

Kerrang has just released it's tribute to Iron Maiden, "Maiden Heaven" This fifteen track masterpiece, has covers from some of today's most well-known metal bands such as Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica, Trivium, Machine Head and Dream Theater. 01. Prowler - The song starts of with some great harmonies, and great rhythm, however, as soon as the vocals come in, I was skeptical. While the guitars maintain great tone, and the instruments are very well mixed, the only thing about this song I really liked was the guitar solo. The vocals kill the song. 02. Remember Tomorrow - though I am a Metallica fan, I am by no means being bias when rating this. The song was a great cover, with the Metallica twist that they've been known to incorporate with all of their covers. James' voice is great on the song, and Lars' drums are back up to tune as we all like them. Even better, there's some awesome soloing that has been missing from some of Metallica's recent songs, and the production is superb, and for anyone looking forward to the new album, take a listen to the song, because I think it's gonna be great. 03. Flash Of The Blade - I'm not their biggest fan, but the song was awesome. The intro was spot on perfect, and Shadows' voice sounded great. It was by no means Bruce Dickinson, but gave the song a completely new sound a feel from the original which makes this cover great. The mixing and production was awesome as well. With a few differences in drumming and guitar work, and that unique synyster guitar tone, the song took me by surprise, and was a great listen. 04. 2 Minutes To Midnight - first off I have no idea who gotk is at all. The intro vocals were okay, not great, the vocalist sounds like a mix between Matt Heafy and the dude from BFMV. The music is perfect, with some great harmonies, and there's definately some highlights of the song during the chorus, not a major letdown, and for a band I've never heard of they've done a pretty good job with the song. 05. The Trooper - totally different from the original, with an awesome ambient intro. The guitar tone is a bit muddy, but by no means bad. The lead melodies are spot on with the original song. The verses were WAY different from the original, the signature high pitched voice of Claudio, and the harmony bits on the vocals I hate to say sounded a little like chipmunks at times. The guitar solo was alright, I expected better from the guys that made "Welcome Home"'s solo, but it isn't too big of a letdown. 06. Wasted Years - awesome intro, faster than the original, and great tone. The vocals are a lot heavier, a lot deeper than the original, but still great nonetheless. The chorus didn't do it for me, I was hoping that they'd retain some clean vox on the chorus, it just didn't sound right. The guitar solo, again was the best part of this song. 07. Run To The Hills - they put a whole new twist on the song, with a clean intro, and great vox on top of it. The main distorted riff was totally different but still sounded cool, it is not the same song you're used to hearing, and a lot mellower I guess, but amazing still. I guess it's a Sign that these guys know what they're doing. 08. To Tame A Land - awesome introduction with Petrucci's lead work and Myung's bass. The production and mixing is incredible. When the main riffage comes in, Portnoy's drumming is great, and Labrie's voice is close to being like Dickinsons, but still noticably his. Throughout the song you'll hear some scitar in parts, which is cool, There's even scitar leads parts. Awesome soloing from Petrucci, fits the song perfectly. Again, Labrie's voice is amazing, I recommend this one. 09. Caught Somewhere In Time - I've never heard of these guys either, but they definately have their own sound on this one. There's piano in the intro, and the song has pretty much been re-written. However, even though this isn't like the original one AT ALL, I liked it, so to these unknowns I say great job. 10. Wrathchild - I haven't heard these guys before, they put a punk twist on the song, like really punk, but REAL punk. Not the stuff from nowadays. I thought it was pretty good, by no means a masterpiece, but still good. 11. Fear Of The Dark - amazing tone, great mixing, and great vox make this one a highlight of the CD. Not only is it a cover of one of Maidens' most well-known songs, but it sounds awesome. 12. Hallowed Be Thy Name - this is a great cover of a classic song. Machine Head has once again made a masterpiece. If you liked the original you might even, dare is say, like this one more? 13. Iron Maiden - Heafy's voice sounds great, they've brought back some of the Ascendancy style vocals, and mixed them with the Crusade's. The guitar work of Corey and Matt is great, and Travis's drumming takes the song to a whole new level, that isn't in the original, another great cover from these guys, but they still made it original. 14. Running Free - when this started I thought it was a Green Day song. Honestly. The original was better. It's no wonder I've never heard of YLD, because if this is their idea of a good cover, they were wrong. The vocals are stiff, un-melodic, and by no means versatile. I give props to Green Day for being better than this. I give 1 point for effort. 15. Brave New World - cool intro, and not what I remember from the original. I liked this one, had more of a laid back, techno feel in the beginning, and was easy on the ears after the last song. The guitar solo was beautiful. The CD altogether was pretty awesome, with only a few letdowns on the album, I think even the hardcore Maiden fans will be pleased with some of the efforts put together on this Tribute, so if you can get your hands on it, I recommend that you do.

They're Iron Maiden's lyrics, based around fantasy, and amazing as they always have been. The difference is that many of the vocalists on this album have added their own twist to some great classic Maiden songs, Maiden would be proud.

For only $5 this CD is great, and if it weren't for the fact that this will probably only be around for a limited time, I would definately order another copy. If it were stolen I would try to buy it again if it was around, and compared to the Master of Puppets tribute CD I think that this one is just as good.

DimebagRob
    they're all good apart from Sign's version of Run to the Hills, they change it so much its just stupid.
    duncang
    Checked.
    Neverhead666 wrote: hmm, so much complaining about other peoples covers not being on here. there were getting songs that these bands havent covered before for this cd, not pulling a bunch o random covers and placing it on here. the bands never did these songs before they agreed to do this cd
    Actually, some of them had already done some of the covers in live situations (Coheed & Cambria have been doing The Trooper for a while) but I think this is the first time they recorded/released them.
    Donkey Fly
    Gregray88
    Leising
    Gregray88 wrote: Donkey Fly wrote: Not a bad CD. Was enjoying Remember Tomorrow till Kirk came in and ruined it with his Wah... AGAIN. Oh boo hoo, grow up, he is a much better musicians than you obviously. I love Metallica and Trivium's covers.
    Well but he's kinda right. He had a very bad sound with his wah... and even good musicians can still ruin songs with crappy sound.
    Kel_the_Gr81
    I've only listened to a few so far, and the only one that has anything of the original Maiden-like aura is Running Free.
    euan_soad
    Sign absolutely raped RTTH. Disgrace. Who signed them? Madina Lake also sucked. Dream Theater's was flawless as I expected, Metallica did really well and Trivium really nailed the guitar tone of Iron Maiden!
    Donkey Fly
    Typical Response from a Metallica Fan Boy. I like Metallica. They have alot of good tracks but I just think sometimes he should hold of the wah effect.
    Res.urrect.ion
    motorbreath_445
    i think they should have gotten bullet for my valentine to cover a song. i havent heard all of them yet, but what i have heard i liked. and tbh, i liked signs version of run to the hills. i was never a huge fan of that song, so to hear it done that way was a nice touch.
    rancidryan
    as nice as possible, the cd is shit. and should be banned, listen to run to the hills for crying out loud ruined!!! UP THE IRONS!!
    Sound Mind
    Res.urrect.ion wrote: ok, i just got this CD...and to be honest...most of it is poor... i think the Black Tide cover of Prowler, is ****in amazing. And the Metallica cover of Remember Tomorrow, same.. But i mean come on!!! Madina Lake...covering 'Caught Somehwre in Time'!!!!! That is just the highest degreeo f herasy! And they are so ****in shit, they couldn't even stick with the origional song! and i know i know, they "made it their own"...but there are thusands of ways of doing that without changing a Maiden classic!! And as for the Gallows cover of Wrathchild...wtf..
    so you want them to cover a song without changing the original? in other words, you want them to play the exact same thing?
    Symmetry4321
    Utterly great for the most part: Black Tide: Very nice, suprise band Metallica: Amazing, thier best ever cover A7X: Not bad, not a HUGE fan of Flash of the Blade GFTK: Vocals a bit soft but awesome guitar tone Coheed: Too slow but excellent keyboards Devildriver: Hate vocals, well played Sign: Intro weird but not bad, rest of it awful Dream Theater: EPIC EPIC EPIC!! Madina Lake: VERY different but amazing!! Great song Gallows: A bit too punk but nice work on riff Fightstar: Brilliant vocals with accurate guitars here Machine Head: Awesome guitars, mostly good vocals also Trivium: Very fast, very heavy, totally brilliant Year Long Disaster: Played perfectly, bad vocals Ghostliners: I really didn't like it, too soft for me
    stueey
    i love the wrathchild cover. It sounds so RAW and in your face compared the original. Hardcore!
    666James666
    olithebass wrote: though Ive not heard the full thing, I have to say its not brilliant. they needed to spent alot more on the producing and recording costs! I cant tell whether its the bands or the recording process thats really bad. ... it could've been alot better
    Well it is a free album dont forget, you can't expect a masterpiece. I still agree with you on some levels however, it is NOT brilliant the only songs that sounded promising were murdered by horrible samey vocals. I'm looking at you devildriver.
    steve_a7x
    I really like this cd, not dissapointed with it at all. all and all a good album, the best ones of the album for me was: Black Tide - Prowler Metallica - Remember Tomorrow Avenged Sevenfold - Flash Of The Blade Dreamtheater - To Tame A Land Fightstar - Fear Of The Dark Machine Head - Hallowed Be Thy Name Trivium - Iron Maiden i was very dissapointed with devildrivers, i thought theres would of been alot better. Gallows version of wrathchild was terrible but overall a very good cd!
    theotherguy7145
    I've got the CD, and although none of the tracks are as good as Maiden do them (obv), then it is good to hear new bands play songs that were written all those years ago! I especially like what Sign has done to Run To The Hills, they've slowed it down and play it they're way, instead of mimicing Maiden. They're all good tho.
    archangelseren
    this was good but run to the hills didnt even have that amazing bass riff in it.... they damn emofied it! what im saying is the band reworked (less than covered) the song into something barely recognizable to the original which was disappointing for me. ah well most of the tracks are good tho being a sevenfold fan i enjoyed their song and hallowed be thy name was pretty good but seemed to slow
    jammyninja
    Devildriver slaughtered Wasted Years... Fear of the Dark, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Caught Somewhere In Time and To Tame A Land were the best to me. Prowler was pretty good as well.
    Geothermal
    Sign's cover... I like it, but not for being a Run To The Hills cover. Change the lyrics and they've got a decent song, no-one would ever know it was originally a cover :p Sounds too different Hated Gallows cover The rest I liked surprisingly, some more than others, To Tame A Land is to die for. Also to note for the second half of The Trooper it's Travis singing in his stupidly high falsetta, not Claudio.
    steve_a7x
    plus why was there no arch enemy with there cover of aces high, sikth should of been on there doing wrathchild instead of gallows doing such a shit cover of it.
    BlackSymphony6
    hmmm i enjoyed this, one of the better cds that kerrang has given away. cover is awsome, though it makes me think of judas priest rather than maiden. obviously none of these are as good as the originals. And no number of the beast? wtf
    a6l6e6x1
    quite a good album, obviously nowhere near the standards of the original recording! there are some terrible covers on this though especially run to the hills which s the worst cover ive every heard in my life! EVER!!!!!
    Neverhead666
    polaroidvision
    Aimed at review number 2, aren't most of the lyrics by Steve? Still haven't listened to this yet, but will do soon.
    If you liked the original you might even, dare is say, like this one more?
    BLASPHEMY!
    Raizer Sabre
    i liked devildriver's waster years musically, but vocally, they destroyed it. wasn't too keen on gallows either, but i loved run to the hills. one thing about covers is making it your own, and they did a great job with that, quite an achievement to change all the music and vocal melodies in a song like that and make it work
    Seb1uk
    Brave New World was really nice to listen to from Ghostlines. Devildriver started the vocals nicely on Wasted Years, but when they kept going to that high pitch scream on every phrase/sentence, it died. The guitar work though, was awesome. And I do think Fighstar did a pretty wicked job on Fear of the Dark
    olithebass
    Lucifer1805
    I've heard fear of the dark covered by fightstar and its not too bad tbh. Its pretty good..for a cover
    Dyln
    Seriously, A7X SLAUGHTERED flash of the blades, the vocals on the chorus irritated me to the core, other than that the song is kinda decent. Also (aimed at the guy from the first review) I don't get the reason why you said the vocals from the Prowler covers killed the song, IMHO this is one of the better songs, along with Dream Theater, Machine Head, Fightstar and Triviums cover. I personally didn't like the album much, cause my favorite Maiden songs featured in the album were IMO poorly performed, and didn't fit in what I'd call a good cover: I.e: AX7's Flash of the blades, and Devildriver's Wasted Years(again, pretty good interpretation, except for the chorus, where i was expecting some clean high pitch vocals, aside from that a pretty decent cover.