Kerrang: Remastered review by Various Artists

Various Artists: Kerrang: Remastered

This is a tribute album to oneof the greatest records ever made, Metallica's 1986 masterpeice "Master Of Puppets." Trivium, Fightstar, Chimaria, Machine Head, Mendeed, Funeral For A Friend, Bullet For My Valentine and Mastadon each covered one of the tracks from the album.

The lyrics are the same as are on the original (minus a bit of attitude in "Sanitarium" by Matt Tuck from Bullet For My Valentine). The vocals are wide ranging, from the out and out screamers (Funeral For A Friends drummer Ryan Richards and Chimaria's Mark Hunter), the ones who tried to imitate Hetfield (Matt Heafy from Trivium, Matt Tuck from Bullet For My Valentine and Robert Flynn for Machine Head), the ones who had no vocals at all (Troy Sanders of Mastadon) and one who tried a new apporach. This time I am of course talking about, in many ways, the best vocalist on the album Chrlie Simpson of Fightstar, a remarkably fresh take on "Leper Messiah" personifies Fightstar's style of music as well as Metallica's at the same time. Truly brilliant.

01. Battery - Machine Head play this just as Metallica did, thrashy, insaine and hugley loud, awesome. 02. Master Of Puppets - it appears Matt Heafy and co were born for the soul purpose of being Metallica mark 2. This is proved esspecially in this song, which is this albums highlight. Stunning work by all concerned in all departments. Brilliantly played and constructed. Awesome! 03. Thing That Should Not Be - the albums low point, simply because Mendeed are the worst band on the album. The added thrash solo part would not sound out of place on the original song. 04. Welcome Home (Sanitarium) - Matt Tuck tries a little too hard to be Hetfield and ends not doing much until the bit of attitude in the section after the second chorus. The soloing is awesome and almost matches the original by the god Kirk Hammet. 05. Disposable Heroes - Chimaria put alot of effort into this and it shows, just as fast, if not faster, than the original and an added texture with the screaming vocals. Excellent. 06. Leper Messiah - the album underdog performed by the underdog band. The vocals as I have said already are just incredible and the riffing is even better with the tuned down guitars. But the solo is not as complex as I was hoping. But still a thumping great performance. 07. Orion - Mastadon did this song in its entirity, which is something Metallica failed to do live before last year. The played it perfectly, especially thee bass lines. But the magic was missing, the person that can recapture the magic of this is Cliff Burton (RIP). 08. Damage Inc - Matt Davies (the normal Funeral For A Friend singer) was saved from a very difficult job when the drummer took over. The drummer did a good job, the guiatars made stunning work of the intro and the riffs in this, IMO, the greatest of all Metallica's songs. Overall, it is the best free CD to ever come out of Kerrang magazine ever. Long live Master Of Puppets, the greatest, loudest and most thought provoking of all Metal albums.

swanny_the_lad
    yes i agree the mendeed song was teh poorest on htje album. overall brilliant tho and leper messiah IMO is the best thing fightstar have ever done, the style seeems to suit them much better. long live trivium and bullet!
    washingmachine
    9_11_4 : ok so do you get this with a magazine or do ya have to buy it It comes free with this weeks kerrang magazine! Hurry you got till wednesday to buy it!
    genresrforposer
    King ofKumbucha wrote: If you want to hear the best song on the album (Master of Puppets) go to Trivium's myspace
    Despite the fact my dial-up connection makes it require the patience of a Bhuddist monk to load myspace songs(especially with all the copiuos amounts of pictures and other crap bands put on their myspaces)it was worth it to hear something that reminds me of how amazed i was when i heard the first master of puppets in its entirety. plus, better production values allow me to actually hear the drums more. off to all these other bands myspaces.
    \m/ jamie \m/
    Triviums, Machine heads, mastodons and Fightstars covers were amazing, esp. Triviums. Mendeed are a ****ing amazing band, but there cover wasnt good IMO. The vocals wer a bit ...eh? lol. Bullet For my Valentines singer is ****ing terrible...sounds like a 5 year old :S
    Trellis
    this is a class cd! bullet for my vallentine and funeral for a friend songs ruin it though, the singers sound awful on it, why bother having the ffaf drummer screming on it? just ruin it. fightstars version of leper messiah was suprisingly amazing! loved the cd apart from bfmv and ffaf songs.
    rock_guitargod
    this cd has opened a new dimension to bands....fightstar covering leper messiah i was shocked that is actually one of the best on there! metallica's shoes are hard to fill they all did great jobs!
    metal_matt
    I do not agree with your review Mendeed are an amazing band (Just seen them live) and what they did to the song was brilliant! Fightstar on the other hand were absolute bollocks they ruined one of my faveourite MetallicA songs and should not have been on the album! Anyway enough of the ranting the rest of the album with the best song being Master Of Puppets by the new Metallica and Corey did a beasrt of a job on that solo!
    euan_soad
    METSOAD
    euan_soad wrote: its a british magazine 1.99 WHSmith or try supermarkets. This is immense, best free K! cd ever.
    Finally a brit, i agree with you
    nirvana4lf
    bullet for my valentine (i think its them) has created a blashpemous and terrible version of sanitarium! they should go to hell!
    Frenchie_17_89
    METSOAD
    Frenchie_17_89 wrote: All you guys that say fightstar are rubbish need to buy their album, one of the best of the year, and their version of 'leper messiah' is better than the original.. sorry to say it
    That is a bit too far, its awesome but not better than the original
    Grimme
    I personally was a bit dissappointed that a lot of the bands didn't actually try and change the sound or do the songs differently [apply their own style to the song] rather than copying.
    morello_man
    Did anyone think that Funeral's Damage Inc. cover sounded like a death metal cover? Those vocals were pretty intense. And how weird was the british BFMV accent on Sanitarium.
    matthew man
    i dissagree i felt that only orion and puppets were done well the rest just couldnt cut it
    dandesmond
    I dont know, I didnt enjoy the Funeral one, the screaming did not sound great.
    Cjb Scotland
    I didn't like the fightstar one. And why did they choose fighterstar they aint metal, why are they covering a metal band!
    gregorisgod
    I didn't think the Mendeed one was that band (and Mendeed are pretty good live by the way.) Definately not the poorest band on the album, that prize goes to fighstar who try to mask their basic playing with downtuning and a lot of distortion - Charlie should take his eyebrows back to pop heh. Mind, this was the best thing Fightstar have done - possibly because they didn't write it.
    Avenged7X
    I think the most surprising thing on this is FFAF performance. If their drummer took charge of vocals, they changed their name and played metal I think FFAF would be pretty damn good. He has a scream! It's just a shame its wasted. Machine Head's Battery is probably the best song on here though
    WaRl0cK101
    matt heafys vocals are truly perfected on master of puppets, hes done a great job and this ablum is a good standard, all round cd apart from mendeed i dont know who they are but it let the record down slightly other than that LIVE METAlLICA
    NFFC_1865
    rockstar18
    am not a big fan of trivum, but they done a great job of covering of master of puppets.it rocks da house down!!
    METSOAD
    NFFC_1865 wrote: Mendeed are great. Although a little underground for all the mainstream people who, like you, will state they are the worst band on the allbum. However, they are amazing live - just been to see them with about 50 other people at Rock city and they were amazing.
    I have known about Mendeed longer than i have known about Mastadon but i would still say that they are the worst, not because they aren't mainstream, but because they genuinley the worst
    Metal_Militia10
    I didn't like anything from this album at all. Master Of Puppets is a ****ing MASTERPIECE and these guys have all ruined it.
    ffaf_kick_ass
    the remastered album shows how great the original master of puppets album really is. none of those bands are anywhere near as talented as metallica. as soon as i listened to remastered i stuck on the original
    Zacky-Vengeance
    Trivium hav done AMAZINGLY well imo to cover one of the greatest songs eva made, they truly sound incredible, they are destined to be the metallica of this era. The guitar work is just like the original with more harmnies, and Matt Heafy's voice is awesome even minus the screaming, which shows maturity imo. LONG LIVE METALLICA!!!
    ashpop
    i think that the first three songs are done very well and they really show what the whole idea of remastered was all about. but this might be slightly biased because i hate FFAF and fightstar, and trivium, b4mv and machien head own!!!
    suxatguitar105
    I think Machine Head covered Battery really well really didn't like Trivium's MOP cover though they totally ****ed up Kirk's lead.
    akira3419
    haha...they ****ed up Kirk's Lead...well, I guess that opinion is how you got your screen name. Trivium...while I doubt they could ever WRITE a song as good as MOP, they played friggin perfect...and get ready for the gasp i think it was as good as the original, but not better or anything.