NME Presents The Essential Bands 2006 review by Various Artists

• Released: Dec 27, 2005
Various Artists: NME Presents The Essential Bands 2006

This double CD consists of some of the best indie rock/pop tracks of the year (2006). Totalling at 40 tracks (20 on each CD), this is a great present for anyone who simply loves Britrock. The more well-known songs on the album com right at the start (for example, on CD 1, tracks 1-12 are either well-known songs or are by well-known artists. There are not so many in comparison, on CD 2, but it's quality not quantity).

Well the lyrics as a whole are good. But the award for best lyrics is shared between Thom Yorke's Harrowdown Hill and The Charlatans' Blackened Blue Eyes. The lyrics as a whole go with the music, hard to pin it down really because of the shear number of songs on the album. Thom Yorke's a great singer. Preston from The Ordinary Boys isn't. We can't all be perfect.

Well it certainly compares to some other compilations that I've heard before. Shame I can't remember them because they were so (insert rude word here). Anyway, there's certainly a collection of good songs here (and also some lacklustre ones to fill in some CD space). The most impressive songs? See above. It's a great album for those people that listen to Radio 1 in the UK frequently, or read the NME. However, it isn't a metalheads cup of tea I'm afraid. Even some NME readers might not be too pleased with it. What do I hate about it? No Muse, curses. It was given to me by a friend for Christmas. If it were lost or stolen, I would be more inclined to buy the 2005/2006 festival CD instead I'm afraid. A good album nonetheless.

RadioMuse
    untitled039
    Amalgam wrote: Muse should definitely be on there. I knew when I read the title Arctic Monkeys would be on here. I love the Arctic Monkeys, but it's like NME has an obsession with them. Thank God I don't live in Britian though, I'm sure people are crazy for them over there.
    Yeah I remember reading the NME a year ago and all they wrote about for 2 months was them. Still a good band though
    Rock God #1
    Rock God #1 wrote: I live in Britain. I think the Arctic Monkeys have been over-hyped, and are not nearly as good as people say or think they are. I sincerely hope you've seen them live, because if you haven't you no right to comment on them. They're the most important band since Oasis, and if you can't realise that you're either dead, Southern or middle class.
    Oh come on! They haven't even released their second album yet. For all you (and many other fans) know, they could easily screw it up by releasing a crappy album, like all bands could (there's always a possibility). I'd rather wait and see what happens before drawing any conclusions.
    cabbaman98
    masterometal666 wrote: And no I'm not strictly speaking about metal either. I like reggae, punk, ska, metal, nu metal, classic rock, some rap/R&B, disco, funk... you name it. Pop just gets on my nerves. You don't really need talent or intelligence to do it. As long as you look like a million bucks, you can earn a million bucks. Sickens the Fuck outta me.
    u see this guy has got it right. Well done my musically, varied friend.
    masterometal666
    masterometal666
    cabbaman98 wrote: this guy obv has a very unvaried music taste which doesn't venture outside NME. Which generally is a commercialised shit magazine. The only decent part is cuz i can look for som decent gigs in teh back. i dont mean to be bitchy about the writer of this reveiw its just... yeh lol
    Yeah... there are so many bands I can think of that could send these bands home crying that I couldn't laugh when I read names like The Killers and Keane on an album that says "Essential Bands". That's complete bullshit right there. Fucking magazines are so naive to the musical world.
    jahyarain
    "They're the most important band since Oasis" hahahahahahhahahahahaha!! !!! they're alright, i suppose, but if being as important as OASIS is a compliment...c'mon, dude, anyone can get drunk and crackle out lyrics they didn't even write over three chords. but i am "southern" (and dead), so, what would i know...
    Northern_Soul
    Rock God #1
    Well you know nothing about me so I would stop passing judgement. I don't really like NME, because they're pretentious (or Kerrang! for that matter, self glorifying twa..) Anyway...unvaried sense of music?? Couldn't be further from the truth. I probably listen to more types of music than you ever have.
    Amalgam
    pratt14
    eh... USA has the lockdown on rock-pop... it's called "OK Go"
    AHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. that's arguably the stupidest thing I've read in the past month.
    Shankle
    Muse have definietly earned their place on albums like these. Of course I still wouldn't buy it if they were on it.
    percepied
    nme and brit-rock are most of what i listen too. i don't know what wrong with you people.
    glenndo4000
    RadioMuse wrote: No Muse in an NME collection? That's the most unfortunent and ridiculas thing I've ever heard!
    agreed!
    KieronC07
    I agree that Muse are good but the first Cd is great(6) but the second cd isn't as good to me (3)
    cabbaman98
    emzy33
    grr muse needed *insert muse here to make album much better* confused about fratellis spelling also :S
    Rock God #1
    It's NME though isn't it...an essentially Indie magazine. Hey Mr. Editor, can we put some Rammstein on the CD...oh no wait I'm being stupid our readers won't like that...sorry.