NME Presents The Essential Bands 2006 Review

artist: Various Artists date: 12/29/2006 category: compact discs

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Various Artists: NME Presents The Essential Bands 2006
Release Date: Dec 27, 2005
Label: NMG/Universal Music Group
Genres: Rock
2006 double disc Britpop collection compiled by NME, the UK's weekly music rag who virtually invented and continually supports the genre.
 5.7
 7.7
 3.6
review (1) 22 comments vote for this album:
NME Presents The Essential Bands 2006 Reviewed by: Rock God #1, on december 29, 2006

Sound: This double CD consists of some of the best indie rock/pop tracks of the year (2006). Totalling at 40 tracks (20 on each CD), this is a great present for anyone who simply loves Britrock. The more well-known songs on the album com right at the start (for example, on CD 1, tracks 1-12 are either well-known songs or are by well-known artists. There are not so many in comparison, on CD 2, but it's quality not quantity). // 7

Lyrics: Well the lyrics as a whole are good. But the award for best lyrics is shared between Thom Yorke's Harrowdown Hill and The Charlatans' Blackened Blue Eyes. The lyrics as a whole go with the music, hard to pin it down really because of the shear number of songs on the album. Thom Yorke's a great singer. Preston from The Ordinary Boys isn't. We can't all be perfect. // 9

Overall Impression: Well it certainly compares to some other compilations that I've heard before. Shame I can't remember them because they were so (insert rude word here). Anyway, there's certainly a collection of good songs here (and also some lacklustre ones to fill in some CD space). The most impressive songs? See above. It's a great album for those people that listen to Radio 1 in the UK frequently, or read the NME. However, it isn't a metalheads cup of tea I'm afraid. Even some NME readers might not be too pleased with it. What do I hate about it? No Muse, curses. It was given to me by a friend for Christmas. If it were lost or stolen, I would be more inclined to buy the 2005/2006 festival CD instead I'm afraid. A good album nonetheless. // 7

More Various Artists reviews rating latest review