Punk Goes Crunk review by Various Artists

• Released: Apr 8, 2008
Various Artists: Punk Goes Crunk

Much like Johnny Cash, the "Punk Goes... " album series has been everywhere, man. The '80s, '90s, metal, pop and acoustic. Now it's gone 'crunk'. The 'Punk Goes... ' collection is a compilation of bands (not exactly punk per say, but the term is just a generic description in this case. Comment debates will ensue, however), usually covering songs of the genre or era the album will be themed with. The obvious exception is the "Punk Goes Acoustic" albums, in which the bands transpose their own hits into acoustic tunes. 'Crunk' is a modern, east coast style of rap, popularized by artists like Lil' Jon and The Eastside Boys (Boyz, perhaps), and consists of chant-like rapping. Of course, the 'Crunk' in the title of the album is, like 'Punk', used generically. The album spans from crunk, to hip-hop, to r&b styles. The bands and their cover songs original artists, respectively, include, Say Anything - Old Dirty Bastard, Emanuel - Big Boi/Purple Ribbon All Stars, The Maine - Akon, and All Time Low - Rhianna, just to name a few. The songs are definitely not meant to be taken seriously, and while most of the bands put a lot of their own touch into their cover, some really don't work for me. But this is a pretty original idea, so each band really does deserve credit.

When reviewing a cover album, you can't really judge the lyrics. That goes double for when the covers are of rap/r&b songs, a genre not really associated with guitar. To make up for it, I can tell you how hilarious, yet refreshing it is to hear modern day rock (I'll avoid that whole 'punk' adjective) rap, or attempt to at least. Case in point being Say Anything's cover of "Baby I Got Your Money" by Old Dirty Bastard. The song is pretty explicit, and Max Bemis' delivery is excellent. He curses non-challantly (though he and all the other bands refuse to say a certain racial slang term), and brings the low, yet powerful voice SA fans are used to. The same can be said for Emanuel's cover of "I'm On It" by Big Boi and the Purple Ribbon All Stars. Matt Breen makes an seamless transition to the southern rapping on this track, which is nice, coming from a vocalist known for high, sharp screams. One track that seems to get a lot of praise is the cover of Big Tymer's "Still Fly" by The Devil Wears Prada. However, I don't think it really works. They scream instead of rap, and while making the song their own isn't a bad thing, it really doesn't have a hip-hip feel, which can kill the feel of the song.

For what it's worth, "Punk Goes Crunk" is a fantastic album. A lot of listeners will be instantly turned off at the idea of rock bands covering rap songs, but to those who embrace both genres, it's a hilarious, almost satirical play on music diversity. One song that really will stand out amongst fans of either genre is All Time Low's "Umbrella" cover. Yes, the Rhianna song infamous for it's "Ella, ella, ella, ay, ay, ay" line. ATL do it great justice, and while I still abhor the original, I have a greater respect for the song, though that may not make sense. A few songs were unfortunately sub-par. Lorene Drive's "Hey Ya" cover could have potentially been an amazing track, but really fell flat. The afforementioned "Still Fly" cover by TDWP isn't very fun to listen to. One song that's been floating around in the depths of the P2P world, but for whatever reason did not make the album, is Just Surrender's take on "Sexy Back" by Justin Timberlake. It could have (should have, rather) easily been added to this CD, or even replaced on of the other lower interest songs. My personal recommendations are "Baby I Got Your Money" by Say Anything, "I'm On It" by Emanuel, "Put Your Hood Up" by Set Your Goals, and of course "Umbrella" by All Time Low. "Punk Goes Crunk" is original, for the most part, and really fun to listen to. It may even lead you to listen to the originals, and discover a side of music you thought you would never like. A musical epiphany, if you will. Get crunk.

GreenSaosiner
    tbh i think the guy above me needs to not push is opinions... tbh FOB is not a very talented band at all... tbh Rise Against has a shit load more talent than FOB... tbh I find this cd to be exceptionally shitty.
    Alexishxc1337
    I seriously despise this site solely because of people like you.
    d3vilst3v3
    i actually enjoyed this album for the most part... yes it has to be listened to with a grain of salt... and some songs on it may suck pretty hard... but not quite as much as all you ball lickers who have to make this a genre war... listen to the music that you like... end of story... if you don't think that this is "punk" enough then... wait for it... DON'T LISTEN TO THE CD! genius idea huh?
    Alexishxc1337
    Jericho114 wrote: Why is everyone still bitching about the "punk" bands three years after it was "cool"?
    DanteLord wrote: shouldnt it be "crunk goes punk"? considering that its "crunk" songs sung in a "punk" style?
    Not sure. I didn't name the album =/
    chriswahballs
    windexman
    Who cares if the bands are punk or not. I laughed my ass off when I heard these songs. Especially the Say Anything one.
    fede01_8
    chriswahballs wrote: back in the dookie era Green Day was punk, now they've turned into more of an alternative band.
    alternative? WTF)
    tbarrettl
    chriswahballs wrote: nirvanapwns wrote: 51VH50 wrote: none of the bands he mentioned in the review were punk at ALL. has the world forgotten what punk actually is?... people now call green day and fall out boy punk so yeah they have forgotten what punk is back in the dookie era Green Day was punk, now they've turned into more of an alternative band. but fall out boy was never punk at all, they're more like poppy-poppy/punk music.
    Thanks, AI is basically the whole judgement on Green Day anyhow so I am wondering if the new album will bring them either all Alternative or back to Punk though either way that would be great.
    fede01_8 wrote: alternative? WTF)
    Alt Rock is common and look it up on Wikipedia.
    wombcat
    Hahaha, I noticed the same thing. Well put, by the way, and I couldn't have said it better myself.
    Pyro_TheVampire
    Alexishxc1337 wrote: BlackSymphony6 wrote: its extremely lame anyway. sort of rap and emo combined which is pretty much my worst music nightmare I seriously despise this site solely because of people like you.
    +10!
    Johnny_D87
    Hey, if you don't think that there are any more punk bands, here's a novel idea. Start one. Get off the message board. Get out of your mom's house. Learn three chords on a guitar. Start band. Making punk better in four easy steps.
    DanteLord
    Mihyaeru
    Alexishxc1337 : BlackSymphony6 wrote: its extremely lame anyway. sort of rap and emo combined which is pretty much my worst music nightmare I seriously despise this site solely because of people like you.
    Don't visit the site then...its quite simple really I wouldn't like any of this music considering both styles arn't really what I like to listen to mosto fh te time i jut came to see what it was all abouti t sounded....odd... ...and on a side note this genre business is ap ain in the arse it seems to cause arguements more than anything else....or is it just a loto f people seem to rely too heavily on classifying everything they hear and hating everything that doesn't fit into the rigidly set out ideas of specific genre they like?
    King afed
    All the people who are saying that these bands aren't punk are stupid. Look up Hardcore, it started as hardcore punk and has punk elements. So post hardcore, metalcore, and anything else with core in it is partly punk. emo is a sub-genre of punk. Pop punk sucks, but sadly it still has punk in it. Maybe their not NOFX or Bad religion punk but their technically still punk.
    Dr.Wexler
    People don't understand what punk really is anymore. A lot of the music industry is twisting up. There is not many good songs on that CD anyway. Hopefully they won't screw up the Punk Goes Classic Rock, and once again, there is no punk bands.
    demole
    I think the cds average, few tracks are decent at best, and some are just mastered pretty well. But its more of a laugh kinda cd i think. But yea, dont call it punk goes crunk, more like really white rich kids try to sound like kid rock
    Jericho114
    Why is everyone still bitching about the "punk" bands three years after it was "cool"? Yes we all know these aren't real punk bands and we also know you are most likely too elite to give any of thees bands a listen, but honestly just shut the **** up. The writer clearly stated this point yet morons continue to post away. Get a life.
    Alexishxc1337
    Will you guys seriously shut the **** up about the whole 'punk' thing? I mentioned several times in my review that the term 'punk' is used generically, as is 'crunk'.
    51VH50
    nirvanapwns
    PDMChubby
    Well, technically, I would consider pop-punk a subgenre of punk, as well as emo. So they are punk bands, just shit for the most part.
    boomtank
    why don't they call the series 'emo goes...', every band that's on the cds is lame. Rise Against and Strike Anywhere are probably the only non-emo bands that ever released a song for these series. and yes, i call modern pop-punk emo, cause it's gay.
    Ruhiel
    ^ yeah... its crunk made punk so ... its extremely lame anyway. sort of rap and emo combined which is pretty much my worst music nightmare
    Agreed. I mean rappers can sometimes rap pretty fast, that plus screamo style vocals=Earache, nausea, upset stomach, explosive diarrhea etc. This album is definitely a sign of the times...a dark day for rock music and the all-too-often thrown around term "punk". And yes I read the "generic use" comments. I'd like to say something about acceptance and working together and stuff like that but it eludes me at the moment.
    imsimon
    This dissapointed me. I can only listen to 5 songs on there, the rest are awful.
    stueey
    nirvanapwns wrote: 51VH50 wrote: none of the bands he mentioned in the review were punk at ALL. has the world forgotten what punk actually is?... people now call green day and fall out boy punk so yeah they have forgotten what punk is. Oh and i dont know what punk is because im slightly narrow minded
    Thats right 51VH50, you are narrow minded. Punk rock is doing ur thing not letting anyone get in ur way. tbh, green day and fall out boy are more talented than ALOT of punk bands out there, most punk is balls tbh. Punk is Dead. The only punk band worth listening to is nofx tbh. rise agaisnt are crap and i dont see a punk resurrection anytime soon so just STFU, quit moaning and continue on ur ever failing journey into the balls which is punk. back to the review, say anything have the best cover on there, it sooo funny. And My American Heart do am awesome job of covering California Love tbh.
    BlackSymphony6