Requiems Of Revulsion: Carcass Tribute review by Various Artists

• Released: Mar 20, 2001
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Various Artists: Requiems Of Revulsion: Carcass Tribute

As some of you will know, Carcass are one of the greatest Grindcore bands ever, helping Extreme Noise Terror and Napalm Death kickstart the genre back in the late 80's. Bill Steer, the man behind the extremities, is one of the most well known extreme metal guitarists and is highly influential among the scene. All the bands he influenced are here. Exhumed, Nasum, Regurgitate, you name it, this CD has it. Covers of songs from the first three Carcass albums done by the groups that admired them most. But despite the pedigree in the songs themselves, some of these bands still manage to make a bollocks of them. As a new band appears, the sound drastically changes. Some of the bands here have awesome production, Exhumed and Nasum for example, but the others, mainly Vulgar Pigeons and Bodies Lay Broken, the latter of which sounds like the vocalist is raping a pig, really do bring the ratings down for this. The best covers on the album are "Genital Grinder" (Regurgitate), "Reek of Putrefaction" (Rotten Sound), "Burnt to a Crisp" (Cattle Decapitation), "Exhume to Consume" (Exhumed) and "Empathological Necroticism" (General Surgery). Where the album fails the most is on the shoking Vulgar Pigeons cover for "Corporal Jigsore Quandry". The drums are too fast and they seem to think they can drop blast beats in where they want. And as for the guitar, the entire riff is lost in a heap of nasty cess and excretion. Other failures on the album are "Microwaved Uterogestation" (Bodies Lay Broken), "Regurgitation of Giblets" (Pig Destroyer) and "Pugnent Excrutiation" (Dead Infection). But the better covers make up for it, I guess.

The main flaws on the albums are in the vocals, Vulgar Pigeons, Bodies Lay Broken and Dead Infection being among the worst culprits. However, you could almost mistake the Exhumed vocalists for Bill Steer and Jeff Walker themselves. The tone for their cover is close to perfect too, but this is the lyrics section so forget the guitar. The Nasum vocals make a good alternative for "Tools of the Trade" with the metalcore style vocals courtesy of the late Swedish vocalist. Wish I could say that for Bodies Lay Broken, though. It's all a blizzardy mess consisting of "Urrrgghhs!", "Arrgghhs!" and sometimes even a "Eeeekkkk!" Is he emphasising the sickness of Carcass's lyrics? Maybe. All I can say is that the quality varies over the course of the album. Some of the artists think that because they can't afford really high production sound they have to make wierd noises. Cattle Decapitation prove this wrong, however, with their attemp on "Burnt to a Crisp" sounding closer than most of the songs. Exhumed for the win though.

As I mentioned earlier, Cattle Decapitation, Exhumed, Regurgitate, General Surgery and Rotten Sound produce the best covers here, and Vulgar Pigeons and Bodies Lay Broken show the worst. Although Grindcore and Death Metal is not my main genre, Carcass are one of my favorite bands, and some groups here continue their legacy with brilliant covers. Some, however, question the thought of if they've even listened to the songs they tried covering first. If you're only as good as your last album, it's great to see that this isn't actually labelled "Carcass" because this would definately ruin their legacy and reputation. Carcass casted a shadow when they disbanded, and it's good to see that people are still learning from the grind masters ten years on. Therefore, this album still makes me feel good, despite how bad some bits may be (curses Vulgar Pigeons), because a good British band like Carcass shouldbe forever remembered, especially because along with Napalm Death and Extreme Noise Terror, they showed the world what extremity was way back in '88. Stolen or lost, though, wouldn't get it again I'm afraid to say. Too many blotchy parts. And I have the album on my computer so I can just burn it again. If you want to hear all of them, search for this CD. If not, the songs to download are (in order of which you should download first): Exhumed - Exhume to Consume, Rotten Sound - Reek of Putrefaction, Nasum - Tools of the Trade, Regurgitate - Genital Grinder, Cattle Decapitation - Burnt to a Crisp, General Surgery - Empathological Necroticism. Anyways, I hope you found this review useful. Mainly because it took a long time to write, but also because for this CD you should think about it before parting with your cash.

FoulIncantation
    I've Always wanted to get this album, ive heard regurgitate's cover of genital grinder and Psychopathologist and there awesome!