Still Phishin': A Bluegrass Tribute To Phish, Vol. Review

artist: Various Artists date: 08/18/2005 category: compact discs
Various Artists: Still Phishin': A Bluegrass Tribute To Phish, Vol.
Released: Apr 9, 2002
Label: CMH
Genre: Rock
All of the songs here are Phish originals, but with that bluegrass tune to it.
 3.9
 6.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Still Phishin': A Bluegrass Tribute To Phish, Vol. Reviewed by: Minkin, on august 18, 2005

Sound: I was a little hesistant about buying a cover band CD, especially a bluegrass cover band to a rock/jam band, but this is a very impressive album. Even if you don't care for Phish, the tunes on here are relaxing, but the songs do not have the sound of Phish. The band merely played the songs note for note on the banjo, bass, guitar, violin, mandolin, doboro, and some/little percussion. All of the songs are Phish originals, but with that bluegrass tune to it. This is "Still Phishin'" second album. On this album they cover the following Phish songs: All Things Reconsidered, First Tube, You Enjoy Myself, Julius, Maze, Farmhouse, Weekapaug Groove, Mike's Song, Down With Disease, and Waste. Yes they still play some of the sound effects, such as the clock sound in Maze, or the weird sounds in down with disease, but overall it isn't the same as Phish. You enjoy myself shows vast musicianship from each member. The banjo, and Fiddle do the most as impressive goes, but that is to be expected from a bluegrass band. Each member is very talented, and together they make a great sound. // 10

Lyrics: Unfortunately for all of those fans out there, who were hoping to hear some great cover lyrics, I am about to disappoint you. This album has zero lyrics in it, not a single spoken word. The overall rating truely shouldn't be judged, or affected, since this is one taleneted cover band, but unfortunately, they did not do any lyrics. // 2

Overall Impression: I thought this was a very impressive album, although I hardly ever listen to it. It just isnt the same as the real thing, which is pretty hard for a die hard Phish fan. I am interested in getting vol. 1, as long as it doesn't cost too much, otherwise I would just buy something else. The banjo and the fiddle are the greatest musicians on this album. There isn't a "bad" song, they are all enjoyable. I reccommend this to anyone who loves the band Phish, or just wants to get a good taste of bluegrass. This cover band has a good sound, and they are very skilled at covers. I must say that this album shows the greatest Phish cover I have ever heard. I just wish the cover art made sense. // 8

Comments