Take Action! Vol. 7 review by Various Artists

• Released: Mar 4, 2008
Various Artists: Take Action! Vol. 7

Take Action! Volume 7 is more generous than ever, this time the annual charity compilation features 20 tracks and 20 videos on a featured DVD. The CD provides a wide range of music genres -- alternative, punk, indie, hardcore, and metal, presented by the best new bands. Probably the only thing that unites all of the tracks is that all of them are guitar-driven. The record starts with an impressive vocalize and a short speech from Every Time I Die's Andy Williams, followed by the band's track Werewolf from their recent album The Big Dirty. From First To Last through in some emo and hectic guitars with Two As One -- the lead-off track from their upcoming new album. The guys mix punk aggression with melodic choruses, getting the help from Josh Abraham (30 Seconds To Mars, Slayer and Velvet Revolver) in production. This Is For Real is a track with happy vibes from Motion City Soundtrack. All Time Low with Dear Maria, Count Me In! delivers some more upbeat happiness with claps and sing-along. Some tracks awake memories of other artists. Thrice provide Depech Mode-influenced electronic Digital Sea, while Their City by The Matches is inspired by plenty of bands from the early 90s, including the long-forgotten Pulp. Newport Living by Cute Is What We Aim For stands out against other tracks by marching bridges, sharp hooks and arrogant lyrics If you lie, you don't deserve to have friends. I'd say this is the band to watch out in the nearest future!

The poetry has all the subjects that worry modern teenagers -- from usual ramblings about unrequited love to aggressive metallists with lyrics about venom and bullets, plus some innocent swearing by a few bands. Listening to plenty of new acts on the CD, I should admit that nasal type of vocals becomes more and more popular. Unfortunately this easiest way of signing doesn't always suit the bands and the music they are playing. Far not all of the vocalists want to learn to create a seal or think about the mood of the song, preferring to sing just the way it naturally goes. Roses by Meg & Dia is the only song with female vocals and I should say it is very nice to hear something feminine among such amount of guys. Not only Meg's got a nice pathetic voice, she's also diluting the rough majority of vocals on the record. In the track she prays in aid of the magic of words, singing Roses, roses sold out as the intended effect for the single. I could never think about such way of incresing the sales, but who knows, maybe it helps. Girls have always been more creative than guys!

Even though far not all the artists are as famous and radio played as for example Motion City Soundtrack and Every Time I Die, I can't say some of them are much worse than the others and don't deserve to be as known. This is a compilation, but it's compiled so smooth that it goes on one level from the beginning to the end. With this CD the bands get a great opportunity to become known and the listener benefits by discovering great new artists. This is definitely a good bargain for just $6.98 and a handful of great music. Besides it's nice to realize that buying the CD you help someone change the community they live in (hopefully to the good).

mjmillard
    well i'm assuming all 5 of the take action bands(fftl, everytime i die, human abstract/august burns red [**** ya!] and the bled), motion city, all time low, count me in, thrice, the matches, cute is what we aim for (since he named those 6 other bands thrice being the only good one)
    tiger_lily
    seusion wrote: what are the artists?
    Absu_Kanpa
    Girls have always been more creative than guys!
    Dallen_007
    Absu_Kanpa wrote: Girls have always been more creative than guys! I think it's fair to say that you are here to review an album of music and should keep your discriminatory ramblings to yourself. (or at least keep them for where they are on-topic and fairly debated.) I don't know if you're a guy or girl, and if it was sarcastic; but frankly, I don't care. Also for the record, the new millennium is not really notable for any artistic creativity, as of yet. Sorry for this, but if i wasn't going to say it, no one would.
    like hell it isn't, there are plenty of creative artist out there today, just look for them.
    Absu_Kanpa
    Yes sure haha I have to say you're right. I exaggerated on that part! Forget that, I was just displeased about some of the reviewer's biased comments. (some were opinions and it's fine, but the sexist part doesn't get by me.)
    SL!!!
    Haha, at the two guys above me. I agree. There's a couple good bands on there, like 2 or 3 but they aren't really hardcore or punk. I think people just throw that out to sound legit or something.
    outlaw metaler
    coheed and cambria portugal the man teh fall of troy the dillinger escape plan none of those guys legit
    metalmaniac8989
    Infamou$17
    The first two tracks are fine, and... well... garbage has more class than the rest of this
    I Walk Alone
    metalmaniac8989 wrote: tiger_lily wrote: 1 / Andy Williams from Every Time I Die / PSA 2 / Every Time I Die / We're Wolf 3 / Silverstein / Still Dreaming 4 / Chiodos / Teeth The Size Of Piano Keys 5 / From First To Last / Two As One 6 / Emery / The Party Song 7 / Motion City Soundtrack / This Is For Real 8 / All Time Low / Dear Maria, Count Me In! 9 / Cute Is What We Aim For / Newport Living 10 / Mayday Parade / When I Get Home, You're So Dead 11 / Valencia / 3000 Miles 12 / Every Avenue / Where Were You 13 / Meg & Dia / Roses 14 / The Spill Canvas / All Over You 15 / Thrice / Digital Sea 16 / The Matches / Their City 17 / Set Your Goals / Echoes 18 / Drop Dead, Gorgeous / They'll Never Get Me (Word With You) 19 / The Bled / Shade Tree Mechanics 20 / Haste The Day / Stitches Please tell me that this is only the tracks, and that August Burns Red and Human Abstract have at least some video footage on this thing. Otherwise, what was the point of this compilation if they didn't include two of the major headlining bands of the tour CD/DVD?!?
    "Composure" by August Burns Red and "Vela, Together We Await The Storm" by The Human Abstract are both on the DVD.