UG Blues & Jazz Album review by Various Artists

Various Artists: UG Blues & Jazz Album

View Profile Download UG Blues & Jazz Album
Ultimate-Guitar's very own blues guitarists collaborate to great effect, on what should be advertised as the ideal introduction to blues. Listening to music as passionately recorded as this, one need not look to any other source of inspiration to listen to more blues music. Insofar as there is so much talent on show, it is hard to choose a select few tracks to discuss here. On an album on which Max Korlinge's track: Joyous Blues is joyously up-tempo, enfilading the listener with a blaze of harmonica-guitar blues; and Ian Schober's Blues in E turns out a rampant, galloping guitar rhythm that bands such as Iron Maiden would die for, there is a real sense of artisanship about this album. An industrious effort, it is; however, the 'fabric' of the UG Blues album is to be found within Shine On Blues, performed by James Hayes. Recorded in an uncommonly refined manner, his labours boast erudition. Despite doing their best to remain as sincere and insouciant as possible, there is a tangible expression of grace on this album, and it's a testament to the artists' proficiency. Whether it is the adagio of Grey Sky Blues, or the intricacy of Sam J. Parker's Desolation Blues, Ultimate-Guitar's blues artists do the site justice.

Largely instrumental, with the notable exception of Workin', performed by Kevin Saucier, and a few of the covers, the lyrical qualities of the album are largely demonstrated by Amos Helvey. The apex of delight and raw passion on this album is arguably his rendition of Rollin' and Tumblin', the Muddy Waters classic. This mix of covers and originals blends excellently, and it seems fitting that Muddy Waters' influence inexorably endures on modern day blues. The Liquid Blues Band's very own Gone Forever is yet another standing tribute to the talent of Ultimate-Guitar, and lyrically holds it's own, retelling the story of 'my baby', who is 'gone forever [...] straight outta town', leaving the vocalist 'so down'. Don't let that get you down, there's plenty to keep you up beat on this album!

Blues guitarists are often tempestuous, boldly revolutionary, and astutely talented. Abstemious, they are not; Ultimate-Guitars very own Blues guitarists draw influence from the greats, such as SRV, Jimi Hendrix and Muddy Waters. In the event, the only thing that is lacking from this album is a more qualified recording process throughout; let this leave you unperturbed, for the quality is there to substantiate my claims that there is a lot more to come from these guitarists. Neil Flynn, the brainchild of the project, assured me that the artists are planning another album so that we can put it onto online music shops and give the money to the charity'. With such sentiments behind the music, you can sit back and enjoy yourself. From the initiating track, recorded by the prodigious Eric Nikolaides, to the closing Stormy Monday rendition, by James Hayes, the album does not disappoint much, if at all.

szekelymihai
    Just downloading now.Looking forward to hear it and the DW has a great speed.I also encourage all others to start writing their onw songs to get on the next UG album :cheers:
    TheBurningFish
    Td_Nights Perhaps one day UG will have themselves a folk/viking metal album. I can dream, can't I?
    It'd be a long dream
    nuncautnumquam
    Lefty7Stringer
    Td_Nights wrote: I wonder if the author of this review realized that half the people on the site won't understand half the words that were used lol. Anyway, it's sounding really good. Perhaps one day UG will have themselves a folk/viking metal album. I can dream, can't I?
    Freshnoise
    hamish5178 wrote: wow, whoever wrote this obviously had a thesaurus on hand.
    farquarl
    Awesome album. I dont usualy listen to blues but I loved this. Great that it was free download too.
    Jimmy94
    Don't worry, I'm working on an original jazz comp for the next one
    Nikkari
    Dimebag22 wrote: Sweeeet. I'm on the album, my track is "Long Gone Blues by Kris Moore." I would love to hear comments on my track to improve my playing :cheers: to Sam for doing the review.
    ok kris I like it and I like a lot. I'm from Finland and just spent a weekend in the countryside sitting on the dock and listening to this album. Your song has a sweet "black touch" (I hope that's not too offending to say something like that). All and all magnificent album and really inspires me to improve my guitar skills to be able to play this kind a shit during the hot summer days spent with frends and family in the countryside. Somehow blues just fits the mood of those days. More shit like this! And for free obviously
    Dimebag22
    We called it the Blues and Jazz album because it originated in the Blues and Jazz Subforum. And this album was produced and recorded bu Ultimate Guitar users, not the Ultimate Guitar staff.
    musicology
    I kept waiting for an altered dominant, or a even tritone substitution, but apparently the "jazz" of the blues and jazz album got cut out of the final mix.
    Shazazmic
    UG reviewing their own album? I was expecting them to give it like an 11 lol.
    Minderbinder
    With "shine on blues", it's just him playing over a free online backing track from "gilmourish.com" Everyone else played their own instuments.
    joshua029
    VLVTRVOLVR13 wrote: what are you guys using to play the album? its an .rar file and my windows media player does not recognize... any ideas?
    its a compression extension. like .zip but better. goole winrar and you'll be okay
    Dimebag22
    nuncautnumquam wrote: what i don't see is how this is a blues and jazz album, when only blues tracks are present? I'll give it a listen anyhow, i love the blues. Just that one question
    For the hundredth time, it originated in the Blues and Jazz subforum, so therefore we named it the Blues and Jazz album because it was made by the Blues and Jazz forum regulars.
    Billy Picken
    All I can say is awesome job to all involved! This made my day, it's always great to have fresh new music to enjoy.
    buzzzxx
    Ryzeke1
    Sweet...Soapbox Kings. Visited their Myspace page, and some serious good blues stuff. Oh ya, and the album is great stuff too =)
    Connavar
    aerialanatomy wrote: white guys shouldn't play the blues but w/e Tell that to Eric Clapton.... seriously..that was dumb.
    Not to mention others like rory gallagher. There are lots of great white blues players out there
    AnoKid09
    aerialanatomy wrote: white guys shouldn't play the blues but w/e
    Tell that to Eric Clapton.... seriously..that was dumb.
    Dimebag22
    Yeah, if you really want to be on a blues album, chances are that you wont make it on to the next one, but if you start posting in the Blues and Jazz subforum, you would definitely make it onto the third one.
    GD_GC
    buzzzxx wrote: what a fantasic vehicle for the talent on this site. I am downloading it now and can not wait to take a listen. How did you all find out about the making of the album to contribute tracks? Congrats to all who appear on it.
    We found out because we are all regulars in the subfourm, and one of us had the idea to do it. If you want to get involved on the next one, start checking out the Blues/Jazz subfourm!
    ss311
    Freshnoise wrote: hamish5178 wrote: wow, whoever wrote this obviously had a thesaurus on hand. I was thinking the same thing. How often do you hear words like enfilading, erudition, or inexorably? Sounds cool though, I'll give it a listen.
    All the time, because I can actually read. I know these words, so I use them when I have the opportunity.
    Psychologic
    Love the album, very beautiful guitar play Congratulations to all the guys that made it on the album.
    mlkIII
    Great job by everyone, but how do you get in? I would love to collaborate on a blues album.
    God's Guitarist
    i downloaded and tried to expand it but it says that grey skies has an error and thus the file cannot be extracted?? from what i gather im the only person who's had this problem. anyone know whats going on??
    Rock_Rebel
    Hope there will be other albums, like Punk, Rock and Metal, stuff like that, It'd great. I hope this is the start of a great collection of UG Albums.
    Rock_Rebel
    Excellent album, I honestly can't pick a favourite song. There is some serious guitar mastery here.
    TeXaS_db
    Woo Struttin' Busted FTW, ha jp. My favorite song was the Little Wing cover by eric, a great acoustic cover.
    adriank
    Nice work guys. Have it playing right now and think its an awesome album. I'm definitely keen to hear more from all of you.
    theocao
    hmm I kinda wanna be on a ug album but I suck to much prolly in a few years.
    Bored to Tears
    This album is pretty cool. The only thing that would make it better is some better production.
    GD_GC
    Yeah, I agree there isn't really any jazz, but we wanted to name it for the Blues/Jazz subfourm in general, even though there is mostly blues on there.