[id] review by Veil of Maya

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Apr 6, 2010
  • Sound: 9
  • Lyrics: 9
  • Overall Impression: 9
  • Reviewer's score: 9 Superb
  • Users' score: 9.4 (35 votes)
Veil of Maya: [id]
4

Sound — 9
To start with, the majority of metal nowadays has been plagued very clearly with slow, monotonic breakdowns, amateur and repetitive riffage, basic 4/4 time signatures, and of course, little to no melody. In the past 6 years, the talented quartet known as Veil of Maya has managed to drift way from this mainstream metal trend, and have created a unique sound of their own. From 'All Things Set Aside' to 'The Common Man's Collapse', Veil of Maya's sound and musicianship have only evolved for the better. Now with their latest record, '[id]', Marc Okubo and Sam Applebaum have shown their true colors in their skill... and writing ability. Each track brings out a graceful blend of chaos and melody, differing in a perfect way for each song. Songs such as Dark Passenger, Namaste, and Unbreakable show technicality and veracity that make for ample amounts of headbanging to each of its breakdowns, while injecting some beautiful, ambient riffs within each song. In more melodic pieces such as Resistance, Conquer, and Codex, a mood is set within each measure that can be further appreciated with each listen. There are also some instrumental breakdown tracks within the album, such as [id], Circle, and Martyrs. However, they don't seem to stand out as much as the instrumentals from 'Common Man', possibly because of the predictability that VoM has put into their breakdowns. Overall, a personal favorite song from this album would have to be Resistance. The most complex, and overall appealing instrumental from the album, is Marytrs.

Lyrics — 9
The lyrics of [id] have GREATLY improved from their last two albums. The lyrical theme of each song has many symbolic elements, which are much 'easier' to understand than those from 'Common Man'. The lyrics also seem to have more of a chilled, deeply felt mood that flows from each word that Brandon screams/growls. Examples from the album are:

"Live together, die alone, Created by our own drive to live... Fight on until its know, our purpose, our being here, must be a sign to the path.. to the path that we must take." (Namaste)

"Imprisoned in all of us, a journey.. A true test of being, a struggle in all of us to be human. We all possess the most raw and natural power.. deep inside." (Codex)

Overall Impression — 9
Veil of Maya has delivered a wonderful blend of their own style, into one album that seems to only become greater with each listen. The only downside to this album in my, and many other VoM fan's opinions, is the production quality. Michael Keene shows himself well in this album as an amateur producer who is not well fit for the job. The production may hurt a bit in the overall quality of the album, but nonetheless... [id] is filled with musical masterpieces that make it an instant deathcore classic, that would make any hardcore musician bow to their knees.

41 comments sorted by best / new / date

    DudeI'mOnAlesse
    krvolok wrote: To start with, the majority of metal nowadays has been plagued very clearly with slow, monotonic breakdowns, amateur and repetitive riffage hah....epic fail: A)true metal(deathcore and metalcore are weak punk genres)bands dont have frequent breakdowns. B)this is at best a semi-technical/prog effort
    no such thing as "true metal" you ignorant fool. Shoving bands into genres is childish.
    Amuro Jay
    krvolok wrote: To start with, the majority of metal nowadays has been plagued very clearly with slow, monotonic breakdowns, amateur and repetitive riffage hah....epic fail: A)true metal(deathcore and metalcore are weak punk genres)bands dont have frequent breakdowns.
    fail on so many levels. Deathcore and metalcore are not punk, no matter which way you spin it. Nor are they hardcore, aside from metallic hardcore bands who are referred to as metalcore. Also, MANY metal bands make frequent use of breakdowns, including Metallica, Slayer, In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Cryptopsy, every slam death band ever, Suffocation, and many more. Quit trying to push the metal bible.
    Kwonnie
    ProgJazzMath wrote: Veil of Maya is mediocre. They are a WATERED DOWN Faceless ripoff. Might I add in a ripoff of Born of Osiris. The production is terrible, the whole album is a continuous off time breakdown and it's boring. There are no tracks on this album with anything significant about them. Also, I'd rather hear slower breakdowns with a little more depth and feel than what Veil Of Maya have brought to the table. Sorry, I'm going to have to give this album a 5.
    You do realize that The Faceless and Veil of Maya formed at almost exactly the same time? And that one of Born of Osiris's biggest influences is Veil of Maya? You should really do your research before spouting this...
    Kwonnie
    Reviewer failed to realize that most of the lyrics on this album are direct pop cultural references... Also, MIchael Keene's an awesome producer. I don't know why [id] feels so unimpressive production-wise.
    JO MAMA/BASS
    ProgJazzMath wrote: Veil of Maya is mediocre. They are a WATERED DOWN Faceless ripoff. Might I add in a ripoff of Born of Osiris. The production is terrible, the whole album is a continuous off time breakdown and it's boring. There are no tracks on this album with anything significant about them. Also, I'd rather hear slower breakdowns with a little more depth and feel than what Veil Of Maya have brought to the table. Sorry, I'm going to have to give this album a 5.
    fail. veil of mayas first album (all things set aside) came out before the faceless' debut (akeldama) so i again say fail
    Hells.Mascot
    ProgJazzMath wrote: Veil of Maya is mediocre. They are a WATERED DOWN Faceless ripoff. Might I add in a ripoff of Born of Osiris. The production is terrible, the whole album is a continuous off time breakdown and it's boring. There are no tracks on this album with anything significant about them. Also, I'd rather hear slower breakdowns with a little more depth and feel than what Veil Of Maya have brought to the table. Sorry, I'm going to have to give this album a 5.
    Veil of Maya have been around since before The Faceless or Born of Osiris formed.
    Echoplex
    Hells.Mascot wrote: Veil of Maya have been around since before The Faceless or Born of Osiris formed.
    And Cynic, who wrote the song "Veil of Maya" and are much more innovative, have been around a lot longer. The only thing I like about this band is the name. I try to appreciate any band that brings something new to the table, but I don't hear anything inspiring in this. In fact, I don't think I've ever anything with this many breakdowns that was innovative (Besides the first bands to incorporate breakdowns, of course, but that's hardly relevant). Even Born of Osiris is a Crytopsy ripoff.
    Jsteele1408
    EpiExplorer wrote: AdenZerda wrote: Comparing bands to "the mainstream" is a poor way to make one's point - especially in a genre that has so much depth. Fail. Deathcore has no depth.
    /facepalm It's pretty clear that he was referring to the entire genre of metal...
    Hells.Mascot
    Echoplex wrote: Hells.Mascot wrote: Veil of Maya have been around since before The Faceless or Born of Osiris formed.And Cynic, who wrote the song "Veil of Maya" and are much more innovative, have been around a lot longer. The only thing I like about this band is the name. I try to appreciate any band that brings something new to the table, but I don't hear anything inspiring in this. In fact, I don't think I've ever anything with this many breakdowns that was innovative (Besides the first bands to incorporate breakdowns, of course, but that's hardly relevant). Even Born of Osiris is a Crytopsy ripoff.
    You just really like to argue. I'm not saying anything by stating that Veil of Maya have been around longer other than that those other bands are not copying Veil of Maya. And your argument is stupid, though Cynic have produced two stellar albums. A band does not have to push the limits of its musical niche to be something you can appreciate. And if you're going to argue that, then everything that sounds death metal these days is a Cryptopsy rip-off. I've said many times before that None So Vile is the death metal album by which I still judge death metal. But if you're going to make that argument, then Cryptopsy themselves are a rip-off of Death, Possessed, and Morbid Angel. So. Go **** a pineapples with your arguments, because music is not quantizable or standardized. It is biotic. It is constantly changing but always staying the same; therefore, artists will build off of each other and copy each other and evolve convergently as well as divergently. Everyone's own personal style is an amalgamation of the influences of others', with their own special ingredients added. Now that I've rambled through that spiel... it's worth saying that nobody (with a trained ear and seasoned sonic palate) likes stale. Especially in their music. Basically, I just said all this shit to shut you the **** up, whether you're right or not.
    StonerHater
    yes, this review probably isn't good. i'm not a great reviewer at all. i made this because i've been waiting and waiting for someone to post a review of Id but it never happened. so i took an hour out of my time to make this, so it would at least be on record that Id had a review on ultimate guitar. and yes, to whoever said this, i do realize so some of the pop culture references in this album. i know namaste is named after a Lost episode, has quotes from Lost itself, and has a breakdown from the numbers 4 8 15 16 23 42. if you arent happy with the review, thats perfectly ok. it's ignorant to assume that because my review is unclear, vague, and/or biast, means that im a clueless moog.
    Nor'Easterbass
    so much argument...christ. this album's great, common man was better. plus the production value on this one wasnt as good. and so i dont get flamed, this is MY opinion. still, great music.
    Bjorney
    Whole album is based of Freud's theories of id, ego and superego, pretty interesting if you actually know what those are and follow the lyrics
    Omgpaulslike
    This album has alot of grooviness to it, i'd say its listenable and original enough to have multiple listens. Guitar tone is interesting as they don't use alot of gain, which is something different. And they pull it off quite well. Good concept album.
    krvolok
    I got nothing against metalcore per se,I receive absolutely no emotional reaction form it,but when somebody says BFMV or BTBAM is metal and in the same league as lets say Kreator that pisses me right of.
    gquady09
    ProgJazzMath : Veil of Maya is mediocre. They are a WATERED DOWN Faceless ripoff. Might I add in a ripoff of Born of Osiris. The production is terrible, the whole album is a continuous off time breakdown and it's boring. There are no tracks on this album with anything significant about them. Also, I'd rather hear slower breakdowns with a little more depth and feel than what Veil Of Maya have brought to the table. Sorry, I'm going to have to give this album a 5.
    You win for life, my friend.
    bla556
    hmm, just listened to some of their songs and while I somehow like their breakdowns cause they are no that predictable, I think the sound/production/mastering is horrible...
    ProgJazzMath
    Veil of Maya is mediocre. They are a WATERED DOWN Faceless ripoff. Might I add in a ripoff of Born of Osiris. The production is terrible, the whole album is a continuous off time breakdown and it's boring. There are no tracks on this album with anything significant about them. Also, I'd rather hear slower breakdowns with a little more depth and feel than what Veil Of Maya have brought to the table. Sorry, I'm going to have to give this album a 5.
    synestershadows
    These guys put on a great show, but Id was a disappointment. Common Man's Collapse will always be their best. And please stop all the metalcore hate. It's been done before and it's very immature.
    Rufiothebandito
    Really solid album, these guys are super talented, but sadly I don't think Common Mans Collapse will ever be topped, it's a damn near perfect record.
    AdenZerda
    Comparing bands to "the mainstream" is a poor way to make one's point - especially in a genre that has so much depth.
    blinded_by_fear
    I saw these guys Friday with The Faceless, All Shall Perish, Decapitated, Cephalic Carnage, Vital Remains and a few other bands and I have to say, these guys were definitely one of the best bands there. They played a ton of songs from this album and a few from previous ones such as "It's Not Safe to Swim Today." It was a bada** show, I love these guys.
    Matetz
    D)I am not ignorant I have actually listened and played a lot of metalcore a few years back Then I stopped being 14 and got into doom and thrash.
    Cool and openminded way of thinking: every single musician how plays metalcore = immature and an absolutely backward person. Stop this nazishit, it's music man.
    godsmackdone
    krvolok wrote: A)Slayer and the rest of real metal bands use breakdown as interludes not as choruses. B)there are true metal bands and that not IMO that is fact,so before anymore posting -Sadus C)-core is punk,not a good kind but that what it is. D)I am not ignorant I have actually listened and played a lot of metalcore a few years back Then I stopped being 14 and got into doom and thrash.
    1. Your whole "B)" line makes no sense. You say IMO and then you say it's a fact. If it's your opinion it's not a fact. And if it's a fact, it's not your opinion - it was someone else's idea that they proved to be true. 2. Please show me (cite your material) where it says that real metal bands use breakdowns ONLY as interludes. 3. And finally, please give examples where a band (with vocals) uses breakdowns for their choruses. Music is always listened to by an individual's perspective. No two people will hear something EXACTLY the same way. There's no sense in tearing someone else's work down, especially when the only factual statement you've made is that hardcore is a facet of punk. And Skwisgaar, breakdowns are for the purpose of being enjoyed in a live or active setting, to get the listener/audience moving and/or moshing. It's called audience participation and some people find that enjoyable (I am not one of those people, but I recognize their POV).
    EpiExplorer
    AdenZerda wrote: Comparing bands to "the mainstream" is a poor way to make one's point - especially in a genre that has so much depth.
    Fail. Deathcore has no depth.
    krvolok
    B) means that it is not in my opinion but that it is fact I will not discus this subject since it's crossing into spam,by my fault,you got my blog I'll be more than happy to reply there.
    mr_snuggle
    krvolok wrote: I got nothing against metalcore per se,I receive absolutely no emotional reaction form it,but when somebody says BFMV or BTBAM is metal and in the same league as lets say Kreator that pisses me right of.
    How can you even compare Bullet For My Valentine and Between the Buried and Me in the same sentence? They're on two different planes of metal. And to say BTBAM isn't metal is just ignorant. Break free of your elitist metal and just enjoy the music for what it is.
    Echoplex
    mr_snuggle wrote: krvolok wrote: I got nothing against metalcore per se,I receive absolutely no emotional reaction form it,but when somebody says BFMV or BTBAM is metal and in the same league as lets say Kreator that pisses me right of. How can you even compare Bullet For My Valentine and Between the Buried and Me in the same sentence? They're on two different planes of metal. And to say BTBAM isn't metal is just ignorant. Break free of your elitist metal and just enjoy the music for what it is.
    I can see why BTBAM isn't metal, as they do have hardcore influences, especially in the vocals, and they kinda follow in the footsteps of Cephalic Carnage, which is grindcore. Great band regardless.
    LightxGrenade
    This album sounds like it's killer but I can't find it ANYWHERE and Amazon took 3 and a half weeks to deliver the last album I got from them so they can go suck a fat dick. Guess I'll just order it from their myspace and check it out myself...
    Dynamight
    I haven't heard anything by Veil of Maya (yet) so I have no opinion of them, but this review is utter crap.
    shadowsoldier08
    everybody cries because everybody else bashes their mtv-core genre labels. you like music because its good, not because zomg it sounds like everything else...if you do you're obviously still in highschool. doesnt matter what its called, grow the **** up.
    DrBaumann
    At first I didn't really like this album, but it grew on me the more I listened to it and now I love it! Good review, too.
    krvolok
    To start with, the majority of metal nowadays has been plagued very clearly with slow, monotonic breakdowns, amateur and repetitive riffage
    hah....epic fail: A)true metal(deathcore and metalcore are weak punk genres)bands dont have frequent breakdowns. B)this is at best a semi-technical/prog effort