The Common Man's Collapse review by Veil of Maya

• Released: Apr 1, 2008
Veil of Maya: The Common Man's Collapse

I first heard of VoM when I started listening to Born Of Osiris. Everyone said VoM was 10 times better and much more technical. In some cases, they were spot on. But also they were not. I purchased the album about a week ago and it hasn't left my CD player. I enjoy the album very much, they sound great and the mix appears to be spot on. They only have one guitarist, yet he records multiple tracks and harmonies throughout. As for the drummer, he's a very standard deathcore drummer with his blast beats and various fast sections, which brings me to my next point, the breakdowns. The breakdowns on "The Collapse Of The Common Man" are very catchy and original, each of them are introduced well and fit with the songs as a whole. Now, the guitar playing. The guitarist in VoM is a very talented guitarist. Sweeping when necessary and never overdoing it. Like challenging riffs and time signatures throughout.

The lyrics on "The Collapse Of The Common Man" are your pretty straight forward deathcore lyrics. For example, on the track "It's Not Safe To Swim Today" he says "it's not safe to swim today, this shallow water is my grave" and "I knew this would be hell but it's not living". But aside from the sub-par lyrics, the vocalist is a very good screamer. His highs and lows differ throughout the CD and fit very well with the music

Veil Of Maya doesn't have the most original sound and aren't really anything groundbreaking. Sounding a lot like bands such as Born Of Osiris and The Faceless. Overall, some of the best songs are "It's Not Safe To Swim Today", "Pillars", "We Bow In It's Aura" and "Entry Level Exit Wounds". If this CD were stolen, I'd give whoever did it a pat on the back for their good taste in bands and go buy another.