The Common Man's Collapse review by Veil of Maya

• Released: Apr 1, 2008
Veil of Maya: The Common Man's Collapse

I've been stumbling upon Veil Of Maya time upon time, but I've never took much interest. I've been a deathcore fan for a while, but it got way too repetitive, and I lost interest. When I picked up this album, I was amazed at how much it was different it was from other deathcore bands. It was head and shoulders over most of it's competition. The songs actually differ from one another, it's technical without sounding completely random, and it's melodic and brutal at the same time. It's just perfect. Everything is memorable. The sick tone of the guitar from Wounds, the melodic high riffs of It's Not Safe to Swim Today, and We Bow in It's Aura is probably my favorite song, I just can't even describe it. I also enjoy how they sometimes spice up the breakdowns with some background riffs, sometimes with a sick tone that makes it impossible to stop listen to.

There lyrics are a bit above standard, but they're still nothing special. The themes vary and are once again better than the normal -core lyrics. Some of the lines rhyme and sound really good put together, like from Entry Level Exit Wounds, "Just wait there's more. More from this whore? Oh yes, there is... She ruined her kids." The lyrics are decent, the parts I can understand atleast. I'll leave the rest for the eggheads.

Veil Of Maya is hard to find these days, but wherever I do find it, it is critically acclaimed. I hope someday that they can be widely recognized for death metal bands. I think that some bands that are hogging up the spotlight are undeserving. Veil Of Maya has at least twice the talent, catchiness, and lyrics of most of those bands. I would definitely recommend this to any extreme metal band fan, deathcore or not. I hope to expect more material from this amazing band.

romencer17
    .cadence wrote: Oh, and I forgot to mention that while this band may sound different and original at first, it won't take long for any person to see that Veil Of Maya is just another Sumerian band. You said that they sound similar to Born Of Osiris and The Faceless. Good Call. These bands are also on the Sumerian label. The guitar player from The Faceless is actually the guy who mixed this mess.
    I can see how Michael Keene might not be the best at mixing since I doubt he's had much practice. but what I really want to say is wouldn't it make sense for a fairly new record label to pick up similar bands? I mean, haven't all record labels done that? Find a band that sells, and try to find similar bands that will sell as well? I like all the bands you listed, and I can see how they're similar, but they are still pretty unique in their own way. just my thoughts right here.
    Closterfoebic
    I've seen these guys live and they played extremely well. I think they're pretty original but stay well within the deathcore genre. The guitarist is quite talented and the vocalist has a great scream. Also this is their first album so I'm expecting good things from them in the future.
    huggies1989
    mark the ****ing lines!!!!!this album is beyoond amazing and its only their debut!!expect BIG things from veil of maya
    .cadence
    These guys need to learn what it means to write as a whole, for a whole. The vocalist is very monotone, and the drums are mixed WAY too high. This is proof that good players can't always write good albums. I do enjoy a few tracks off of this CD, such as 'It's Not Safe To Swim Today', but there's not much here for people looking for tasteful writing and playing.
    .cadence