The Common Man's Collapse review by Veil of Maya

• Released: Apr 1, 2008
Veil of Maya: The Common Man's Collapse

From the second I heard VOM I fell in love. "The Common Man's Collapse" is undoubtedly one of the most original cd's you will hear. The guitarist, Marc Okubo, is extremely talented. I myself am a guitarist of 11 years, and the technicality of the song "It's Not Safe To Swim Today" blew me away when I learned to play it. The drummer is also very talented as evidenced in songs like "We Bow in it's Aura" and It's Not Safe To Swim Today." The ability of the guitarist and the drummer to work together is evidenced beautifully in the song "Pillars" as they switch between the two instruments with precision timing. The bassist (former guitarist of Born of Osiris) is also a pretty talented one.

The lyrics of the album, I think are quite a bit better than most deathcore screamers who basically just talk about, raping and pillaging in all their songs. Brandon switches between piercing high screams and incredibly low, deep, growls. His varied vocal skills fit the band's amazingly heavy, yet wonderfully melodic music perfectly.

VOM has been compared with Born of Osiris a lot, and I agree that they sound somewhat similar to their significantly less skilled peers, although if you want to talk about copying sounds, VOM released their first album in 2006, whereas BOO released theirs in 2007. This is by far the best album I own, if it were stolen I'd buy it again before I took another breath.

sexclamation
    I would call this album kinda mediocre. Although i do like a couple of the songs I can't find myself constantly listening to them like I did with Born of Osiris, The Faceless, or After the Burial. I think they tried to isolate every instrument too much and ended up not getting a very full sound. I know it's kinda cool that they only have one guitarist but it kinda shows when all the second guitar plays on the recording is harmonizing riffs. I think they need a second guitarist for a seperate creative flow and a possibility of a lot of cooler riffs. The bassist seems non-existent and the drums are almost louder everything. Michael Keene needs some more practice on mixing before he starts lending everyone his services.
    MTDREW
    huggies1989 wrote: mark the ****ing lines!!!!!this album is beyoond amazing and its only their debut!!expect BIG things from veil of maya
    dude i totally agree veil of maya is sick . i saw em live even sicker
    Closterfoebic
    Again, I just saw these guys 2 days ago with Unearth. Such a great show. (id) is gonna RAYP!!!
    ironman316
    .cadence wrote: These guys need to learn what it means to write as a whole, for a whole. The vocalist is very monotone, and the drums are mixed WAY too high. This is proof that good players can't always write good albums. I do enjoy a few tracks off of this CD, such as 'It's Not Safe To Swim Today', but there's not much here for people looking for tasteful writing and playing.
    vitaminz951
    This is proof that good players can't always write good albums. I do enjoy a few tracks off of this CD, such as 'It's Not Safe To Swim Today', but there's not much here for people looking for tasteful writing and playing. Get you a good sound system with a subwoofer... the bass drum kicks SOOOO hard. One of the many things I love about these guys
    I listen to all my music through my blue sky studio monitors and veil is always fun cause they bump so hard. Don't use computer speakers, your getting jipped.
    sexclamation
    Closterfoebic
    Blamefail. That theory is ridiculous.
    DudeI'mOnAlesse
    Closterfoebic wrote: sexclamation wrote: well not everyone has a good sound system even when they are not listening to the music through computer speakers. tbh the bass drums might sound good with the bass turned all the way up but the bass drum is ridiculously clicky sounding otherwise. I think michael keene notices that a decent amount of these bands are taking a little of The Faceless' style so he purposefully mixes their stuff worse so as to make people lean more towards The Faceless Blamefail. That theory is ridiculous.
    ridiculous or not, michael keene is an awful producer and should stick to playing with the faceless.
    Veil of Lies
    Closterfoebic wrote: I've seen these guys live and they played extremely well. I think they're pretty original but stay well within the deathcore genre. The guitarist is quite talented and the vocalist has a great scream. Also this is their first album so I'm expecting good things from them in the future.
    It's not their first album. Their first album was All Things Set Aside, which nobody bothered to review, and they have another album out now, [id].
    amonamarthmetal
    i like veil of maya a lot and i think marc is one of the sickest players in modern metal, but has anyone else noticed a lot of veil of maya's stuff is a chain of 16th notes, he also has repeated idea's in his songs like the triplet down strokes on resistance and conquer. none the less i still like the music they make and find nothing wrong with the mix.