The Common Man's Collapse Review

Veil of Maya: The Common Man's Collapse
Released: Apr 1, 2008
Genre: Deathcore / Progressive
Label: Sumerian Records
The breakdowns on The Collapse Of The Common Man are very catchy and original, each of them are introduced well and fit with the songs as a whole.
 Lyrics: 8.3
 9.4
 9.1
 9.7
 1,566
The Common Man's Collapse Reviewed by: XenititesX, on march 24, 2009

Sound: I first heard of VoM when I started listening to Born Of Osiris. Everyone said VoM was 10 times better and much more technical. In some cases, they were spot on. But also they were not. I purchased the album about a week ago and it hasn't left my CD player. I enjoy the album very much, they sound great and the mix appears to be spot on. They only have one guitarist, yet he records multiple tracks and harmonies throughout. As for the drummer, he's a very standard deathcore drummer with his blast beats and various fast sections, which brings me to my next point, the breakdowns. The breakdowns on "The Collapse Of The Common Man" are very catchy and original, each of them are introduced well and fit with the songs as a whole. Now, the guitar playing. The guitarist in VoM is a very talented guitarist. Sweeping when necessary and never overdoing it. Like challenging riffs and time signatures throughout. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on "The Collapse Of The Common Man" are your pretty straight forward deathcore lyrics. For example, on the track "It's Not Safe To Swim Today" he says "it's not safe to swim today, this shallow water is my grave" and "I knew this would be hell but it's not living". But aside from the sub-par lyrics, the vocalist is a very good screamer. His highs and lows differ throughout the CD and fit very well with the music // 7

Overall Impression: Veil Of Maya doesn't have the most original sound and aren't really anything groundbreaking. Sounding a lot like bands such as Born Of Osiris and The Faceless. Overall, some of the best songs are "It's Not Safe To Swim Today", "Pillars", "We Bow In It's Aura" and "Entry Level Exit Wounds". If this CD were stolen, I'd give whoever did it a pat on the back for their good taste in bands and go buy another. // 9

The Common Man's Collapse Reviewed by: champayne, on march 26, 2009

Sound: I've been stumbling upon Veil Of Maya time upon time, but I've never took much interest. I've been a deathcore fan for a while, but it got way too repetitive, and I lost interest. When I picked up this album, I was amazed at how much it was different it was from other deathcore bands. It was head and shoulders over most of it's competition. The songs actually differ from one another, it's technical without sounding completely random, and it's melodic and brutal at the same time. It's just perfect. Everything is memorable. The sick tone of the guitar from Wounds, the melodic high riffs of It's Not Safe to Swim Today, and We Bow in It's Aura is probably my favorite song, I just can't even describe it. I also enjoy how they sometimes spice up the breakdowns with some background riffs, sometimes with a sick tone that makes it impossible to stop listen to. // 10

Lyrics: There lyrics are a bit above standard, but they're still nothing special. The themes vary and are once again better than the normal -core lyrics. Some of the lines rhyme and sound really good put together, like from Entry Level Exit Wounds, "Just wait there's more. More from this whore? Oh yes, there is... She ruined her kids." The lyrics are decent, the parts I can understand atleast. I'll leave the rest for the eggheads. // 8

Overall Impression: Veil Of Maya is hard to find these days, but wherever I do find it, it is critically acclaimed. I hope someday that they can be widely recognized for death metal bands. I think that some bands that are hogging up the spotlight are undeserving. Veil Of Maya has at least twice the talent, catchiness, and lyrics of most of those bands. I would definitely recommend this to any extreme metal band fan, deathcore or not. I hope to expect more material from this amazing band. // 9

The Common Man's Collapse Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 15, 2009

Sound: From the second I heard VOM I fell in love. "The Common Man's Collapse" is undoubtedly one of the most original cd's you will hear. The guitarist, Marc Okubo, is extremely talented. I myself am a guitarist of 11 years, and the technicality of the song "It's Not Safe To Swim Today" blew me away when I learned to play it. The drummer is also very talented as evidenced in songs like "We Bow in it's Aura" and It's Not Safe To Swim Today." The ability of the guitarist and the drummer to work together is evidenced beautifully in the song "Pillars" as they switch between the two instruments with precision timing. The bassist (former guitarist of Born of Osiris) is also a pretty talented one. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of the album, I think are quite a bit better than most deathcore screamers who basically just talk about, raping and pillaging in all their songs. Brandon switches between piercing high screams and incredibly low, deep, growls. His varied vocal skills fit the band's amazingly heavy, yet wonderfully melodic music perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: VOM has been compared with Born of Osiris a lot, and I agree that they sound somewhat similar to their significantly less skilled peers, although if you want to talk about copying sounds, VOM released their first album in 2006, whereas BOO released theirs in 2007. This is by far the best album I own, if it were stolen I'd buy it again before I took another breath. // 10

Comments