Contraband review by Velvet Revolver

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
Velvet Revolver: Contraband

As I am a Slash obsessed miscriant I love the sounds (and the album in general). Compared to the good old GNR days the whole album is much more industrial with heavy, original riffs. Every solo is ace, everyone should except no less from the master. Dave's effects are brilliant, they are there to enhance the music and not just for the sake of it. Duff's driving bass is probably the most distinguishable difference from GNR. Matt, as usual, never misses a beat. Finally, Scott is the perfect accompliment to an already great band.

The lyrics take rock straight back to what it should be about. None of the crappy "I lost my girlfriend so I'll go 'n' sulk in a corner" emo. However, some of the songs do seem to be about the same thing, drugs. This is fair enough considering Weiland's past. No point in complaining though because he is better than "The f--ckin' redhead". (Those are Slash's words if you must know).

I suggest that everyone buys this album, even if they didn't like GNR or STP. But that is my opinion. I hate nothing about it, and love everything about it. If it was stolen I would kill the mofo that stole it, and then burn it on to a CD until I bought another copy. So far my favourite song is Superhuman, simply because of the killer riffs. I also love Slither (obviously), Loving The Alien and Set Me Free.