Contraband review by Velvet Revolver

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
Velvet Revolver: Contraband

This is a very solid album. The songs in here range from crazy hard rock to sweet smooth acoustic. Since Slash is in for lead, you can hear pretty cool and rad solos/licks. Even though hes aged a bit and not at the same youth as when he was with Guns N Roses, his solos are still enchanting and mesmerizing. Slash also uses some effects in this album and many can relate that he uses a wah (and nearly masters at it) for the solo on "Slither." Also with Dave on rhythem, you can catch his pounding riffs. Also since this is a new band, back when Slash, Duff, n Matt were in GnR, Slash n' Izzy had a different approach on how their sound should be. But since Izzy not in here, Dave n Slash approached the more "punk" and raw sounds instead of the harmonizing sounds in the past of GnR. In some of the songs, you can distinct the tones and sounds off GnR. For example the song "Superhuman" kinda reminded me of the starting riff of "Sweet Child O' Mine." and for all those into acoustic sound, the closest so far to "Patience" would have to be "Fall To Pieces" yeah so that covers most of the sound. Some of the better songs in the album would probably be: "Sucker Train Blues", "Do It For The Kids", "Big Machine", "Fall to Pieces", "Superhuman", "Slither", "Loving The Alien".

Okay. We all know that Scott Wieland has a problem with cocaine n drugs but who wouldnt? I mean all rockers have had drug related problems, and Scott had one during the time they were making this record. Most of the lyrics in the song talks about how Scott battled cocaine and in which is described in "Superhuman" , "Fall To Pieces" , "Headspace" , "Slither".

I completely loved the album. It's worth every single penny of my money that I spent. All the songs show how much talent that VR put into it. Well as much as this is a good band. It still doesn't cut Guns N Roses but I'm sayin they're gona make it big, just not as big as GnR. The best songs on here are: Sucker Train Blues, Do It For The Kids, Big Machine, Illegal I Song, Fall to Pieces, Superhuman, Set Me Free, Slither, Loving The Alien. Heh thats basically the whole thing. If this album cracked, stolen, I would totally get another copy of this, overall just a good kick ass album.