Contraband review by Velvet Revolver

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
Velvet Revolver: Contraband

This album is straight up rock! Sucker Train Blues gets the album off to a great pace and Do it for the Kids follows it up perfectly although the slightly dodgy opening may put listners off at first. The riffs just seem to roll off from 'The Top Hatted One'. 'Fall To Pieces', 'You Got No Right' and Loving The Alien provide a differnt pace. These power ballads are what the kids of today need to listen to. It takes you back to the stadium years of G'N'R. But Scott and Dave keep reminding you this is fresh.Dave Kushner provides the solid base upon which those solos are built. Dave also adds texture with his various pedals, every listen you hear something new in the background. Duff's heavy bouncy bass sound is ever present. Duff and Matt are really locked in on this record. Matt, although thinner, is as powerful fast and technical as ever. Scott proves he can really sing and all the public shananigans seem worthless to what this guy do with a microphone, Loving The Alien and Fall To Pieces his best work. Slash's solos are shorter but none less intense. The whole band creates a massive sound.

Scott Weilands lyrics on this record don't make sense to a lot of people I know. BUT, that's the point he knows the meaning and everyone else can make up their own meaning, people can relate it to themselves or just take them for what they are, Scott's feelings. He doesn't have to make it crystal clear, he doesn't have to lead you by the hand and show you what they mean. They make you think though... The way Scott sings them though makes the meaning seem pointless. He could have done this album without words. Just sung melodies. The melodies express his feelings as much as the words. Whether it be anger or sadness. This guy can f--ing sing.

Well. I'd say it's the 'Appetite' of it's era. I'm not saying it's better I'm not saying it's worse but it is as significant. It's a new chapter in rock. If these guys stay together they could be world dominant and we'll have big rock shows again. In wembly stadium or tokyo dome, maybe. The album isn't STP, it isn't Guns, hell it's hardly a mixture. Sure, these guys have a common core but you can tell through the music they feel reinvigorated, fresh. It's like a brand new band. And, like Guns, the beauty of this music is that I can't see any other band playing it. It's unique. In fact it's old rock new! If it were stolen I'd hire MI6 to get it back and then leave the thief in a room with Scott Weiland. He'd get his ass kicked. This record to me was like the coming of christ I haven't listened to anything else for about a month now! Buy this record it's one of those that every rocker whose worth his hair should buy! Did I mention I like it?