Contraband review by Velvet Revolver

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
Velvet Revolver: Contraband

I've only heard Sweet Child o' Mine and nothing from STP, so I can't really compare this to either band, so I suppose I'll be less biast to say it's better or worse than the other bands' albums. The sound ranges from hard-rocking, head-banging stuff like Slither and Headspace to near-rapping on songs like Sucker Train Blues and Set Me Free to worthy acoustic tracks like Fall to Pieces, You Got No Right, and Loving the Alien. What annoys me is that Slash's excellent guitar playing is often covered up by the sheer loudness of the rhythm guitar. People have said that it sounds too "old" because the members are in their 40's - first, it doesn't, and second, even some tracks like Fall To Pieces - which is obviously a nod to Sweet Child o' Mine with the guitar riffs - sound great. Perfect mix of sounds to make it heavy rock but also very tasteful.

The lyrics range from absolutely horribly stupidly awful to excellent and well thought-out. Unless there are some drug references I'm not tuned in to, what does "Let's meet at the station, no heavy concentration, the kids are all alright there" mean? However, there are some songs like Loving the Alien in which the lyrics are the main focus of the song. They're alright.

As I said before, can't compare it to any other albums. I like every song on the album except Do It For the Kids and Illegal I Song. I love nearly everything about the album, except for the copy protection, which I won't get in to at risk of being sued for hating the record industry. Long story short, if you have an iPod, get this album from iTunes, do not purchase it in a store, copy protection prohibits you from playing it on your Pod. If it were stolen or lost, I'd buy it from iTunes, but I wouldn't get anything else - this album is gonna stay in my CD player for quite a while.