Contraband review by Velvet Revolver

• Released: Jun 8, 2004
Velvet Revolver: Contraband

First of all, anyone who says this album sounds nothing like GNR they're crazy. In an earlier review the writer states he has heard just one song by GNR and he still makes the connection between "Fall To Pieces" and "Sweet Child O' Mine". The listener may make a mistake to say they sound different because Scott Weiland's voice is obviously different than Axl's. But listen to the band. To use another great hard rock band for example, consider AC/DC. When Bon Scott died and they came back w/ their new album (Back In Black) they still sounded like AC/DC even though Brian Johnson's voice was much different. I think the best way to describe might be is to say full and versitile. It is 100% rightous rock if I've ever heard it before. Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of Mr. Rose but if he wouldn't have turned into a crazy control freak, and the rest of the band had it their way this is what their later albums would've sounded like.

I agree with some of the others, a few of Weiland's lyrics are a bit confusing. In his defense I think those of you who have tried to put lyrics to a song would agree that its tough to get words to fit with the song and still keep their meaning. What's good is that Weiland's voice is still great and makes the music come full circle, even if sometimes you can only guess what he's talking about.

This album is one of the years best. To compare it to anything that comes out now days would be a crime. They really show that the old school still kicks the new school's ass. Put this CD back in 1987 and release it instead of "Appetite" it just might do as well. All the songs on the album have their strong points, but you have to mention "Slither", "Fall To Pieces" and the catchy "Superman". What I love about the album is that it is pure rock and roll. If someone stole this CD from me I would have to buy another.